"Default zoom" feature request Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: "Default zoom" feature request

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-11-13, 22:56

@ Kris_88

Thank you. It is much appreciated you took the time and effort to update the Zoom Label extension.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2023-11-14, 15:45

I use No Squint so I don't really need Zoom Label, but I did try it out of curiosity. When I left click it, it it makes the text smaller (may be full zoom changing). Clicking again does not go back to what it was. Right click shows 100% for both default and browser no matter what the current setting is and clicking one of those does nothing. How is this extension useful other than showing values that never change? Zoom Label does show the site specific full zoom setting that is also shown by No Squint. I usually leave full zoom alone and only change text zoom. I suppose if you change full zoom for sites then it is useful if you're not using No Squint.
Win10home(1709), PM33.1.0-portable as of Apr 23, '24

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2023-11-14, 17:33

Michaell wrote:
2023-11-14, 15:45
How is this extension useful other than showing values that never change?
Actually, there is a description... It's very short...

https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/zoom-label/
This add-on provides zoom level indicator button with some control functions. You can reset zoom to 100% by clicking on the button. Use the mouse wheel over the button to increase/decrease zoom level. Use the middle mouse button to switch between FullZoom/TextOnly.

Navigator
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Navigator » 2023-11-23, 02:55

Kris_88 wrote:
2023-11-13, 19:34
I have added default zoom and GUI zoom settings to the ZoomLabel add-on.
https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/zoom-label/
I am a happy user of ZoomLabel and this is a welcome addition. However it is not clear how to use it from the description, which merely says "added a context menu in which you can adjust the default zoom and GUI zoom." It took me a while to figure out I needed to scroll-wheel over the menu items to change them.

Kris_88
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Kris_88 » 2023-11-23, 03:56

OK. I will add to the description that the adjustment is performed in the same way as for the label.

Geert
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by Geert » 2024-04-18, 14:06

Why not simply use the keys: Ctrl + or Ctrl - for zooming, and Ctrl 0 for resetting to default size? Takes less than 0.5s and does a pretty good job.

I do set a minimum font-size in my browser though, to prevent microscopic text. Even though that sometimes messes up the layout if the developer counted on his microscopic text-size to fit into his design. (Off-topic: I used to complain to webmasters about such issues, but I stopped doing that because it did not work. The layout and functionality of websites are too often dictated by people or commitees higher-up in the hierarchy that have no clue about usability and accessibility. The bigger the commitee and the organisation, and the greater the distance between management and workers, the worse their site tends to get. Especially if they are in the business of 'communication', like newspapers...)

But if any user feels the need to zoom-in on *every* website, then they probably have trouble reading all the program menus too? Then why not increase font-sizes globally in the operating system, for all programs, e.g. to 125% or 150%?

suzyne
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by suzyne » 2024-04-18, 22:23

Geert wrote:
2024-04-18, 14:06
Why not simply use the keys: Ctrl + or Ctrl - for zooming, and Ctrl 0 for resetting to default size? Takes less than 0.5s and does a pretty good job.
Because they both take two hands. It's like how I love having commands in the context menu, they can all be accessed by one hand that is already sitting on the mouse.
Geert wrote:
2024-04-18, 14:06
But if any user feels the need to zoom-in on *every* website, then they probably have trouble reading all the program menus too? Then why not increase font-sizes globally in the operating system, for all programs, e.g. to 125% or 150%?
One of my laptops has a smallish screen but is running at 1920 by 1080, and I keep Windows scaling at 100%. Why? Because I can fit much more on the screen at one time and am able to work faster (way less scrolling) when editing photos, graphics and videos.

And I have no trouble reading the program menus because I know where they are and don't have to actually "read" them, if you know what I mean? And you don't read anything when using keyboard shortcuts!

I know many just say use a plug-in because that is the Pale Moon way, and I previously promised to never again bring up the desirability of a default zoom feature, so here I am only explaining my way of working and not asking or advocating for anything.
Laptop 1: Windows 10 64-bit, i7 @ 2.80GHz, 16GB, NVIDIA GeForce MX450.
Laptop 2: Windows 10 32-bit, Atom Z3735F @ 1.33GHz, 2GB, Intel HD Graphics.