[Resolved by Extension] Feature Request Concerning Bookmarks

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: [Resolved by Extension] Feature Request Concerning Bookmarks

Unread post by Blacklab » 2023-09-08, 08:10

Would be very happy to see introduction of pref 'browser.bookmarks.openInTabClosesMenu'... or similar... to optionally leave bookmark dropdown menu open after single bookmark clicks that open in new tab... much as per resolution of Bug 260611. :thumbup:

Aware that the final comments in Bug 260611 say "this is just a first step towards the final shape of it"... although my impression from unchanged implementation in current Firefox 117 is that this fix was indeed "the final shape of it"?
Marco Bonardo wrote:For the curious coming here checking what to expect, this is not complete, there's follow-up work to do in future bugs:
1. enable more part of the test on Mac (at least the toolbar part should be fine)
2. Try to find a better solution to the timeout on Mac
3. Decide what to do with containers (close, not close) based on feedback
4. keyboard support

Once these are somehow resolved, we could even evaluate making this the default behavior.

So far this can land because it's behind an about:config pref, so the risk is low, while the benefit for users may be high, provided this is just a first step towards the final shape of it.
Would be less keen on adding all the options in 'Stay-Open Menu' extension to browser core. :thumbdown:

Stay-Open Menu for PaleMoon - options page.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-09-08, 08:50

Blacklab wrote:
2023-09-08, 08:10
Would be less keen on adding all the options in 'Stay-Open Menu' extension to browser core. :thumbdown:
I have no intention on trying to be as granular as an extension can be. My philosophy has always been that the core provide commonly-desired basic functionality and leaving the door wide open for extensions to fully deck out the concepts for enhancements. So yes, it would be a simple pref to toggle the behaviour at a base level, nothing more.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2023-09-08, 22:39

Moonchild wrote:
2023-09-08, 08:50
So yes, it would be a simple pref to toggle the behaviour at a base level, nothing more.
This sounds like the menu would stay open even with a normal left click?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-09-09, 10:28

ron_1 wrote:
2023-09-08, 22:39
This sounds like the menu would stay open even with a normal left click?
only if the bookmark would open in a new tab.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-09-11, 22:34

Issue #1936 resolved.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2023-09-11, 22:37

Thank you. Much appreciated.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-11-11, 16:08

Unfortunately, what I put in place does not work; it breaks a bunch of other menu behaviour and I'll be forced to back this out as it doesn't work as-intended.

I spent quite some time looking into this but I don't see an easy solution because the whole bookmarks menu scripting is incredibly complex due to it being dynamically built, having a million and one different actions to activate bookmark menu items different ways (left-click, right-click+menu selection, left-click with modifier, enter, enter with modifier, etc.) and the various parts of that are also spread out over different locations with a lot of code re-use... and it not being simple to determine when a left-click on that menu item (obviously unmodified) should be treated specially. Menus are designed from the ground up to close when activated, and my solution was too shortsighted. This isn't the only behaviour I broke, by the way, so it can't stay in its current form.

You'll have to use the extension for the time being.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2023-11-12, 16:51

I didn't notice any issues, but obviously you know best. Extension is fine. :thumbup: