Browser updates not showing up in "Announcements" Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Browser updates not showing up in "Announcements"

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2023-07-18, 14:03

"Announcements" are not displaying Browser updates as of the last three (32.2.1, 32.3.0, 32.3.1) - last update to display was 32.2.0 (as can be observed in my screen-shot). I've done nothing (made no changes) to the (start.me start-page) widget settings from the time updates have formerly always been getting displayed.
Pale Moon 'Announcements' in forum.png
It would appear something has changed however, (somewhere) - presumably on Pale Moon's end :think: (since I've made no changes on my end).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Browser updates not showing up in "Announcements"

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-07-18, 14:41

I get all of my "official" announcements to the new versions of Pale Moon right here on the Pale Moon Forum site.

viewforum.php?f=1&sid=bac9933cfe0b4967c0e866d34c1245ec

Been doing it this way since the year 2011. Why go anyone else?
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2023-07-18, 14:53

Night Wing wrote:
2023-07-18, 14:41
I get all of my "official" announcements to the new versions of Pale Moon right here on the Pale Moon Forum site....
I use my start-page for virtually all of what I do on the web! (everything available on one page) - why take the extra steps to do what I already have at my disposal (w/out doing anything more) on my start-page (Sorry, your approach defeats my point as far as using my start-page)? You have to access the forum and go to "Announcements" (steps all of us can take of course).... On the other hand, I've got the announcements already on display on my start-page (simply via opening the browser) without doing a thing (simply one click on the browser icon provides access to basically all that I need on the web) - how easy is that?

To be clear (in case there is some confusion) - the start-page widget (referenced in my screen-shot) is intended to serve the function of displaying all of the Pale Moon "Official" announcements of any kind (including updates) - so I'm getting the same exact thing you get (from the forum) w/out the need to access the forum.

But of course everyone has different preferences on how to approach the web - Personally, I like having all things at my fingertips by way of simply starting the browser (makes sense for me :think:). If you prefer taking extra steps (to do the same thing), well - that's OK too. ;)

Btw, I'm using the start-page (start.me) that Pale Moon partners with -- why not use it to get what you need on the web in a much easier fashion?
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2023-07-18, 15:30, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-07-18, 15:29

This has been solved today. for some reason my support ticket didn't get addressed so I got in touch with the CTO of startme the other day. Seems it stopped updating when the forum was down for a longer period of time due to the server failure, and there was no real way to recover from it being in an error state. it was manually reset by startme staff now, looking into how this can be prevented in the future.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2023-07-18, 15:32

^ Thanks Moonchild.

Addendum:
Taking a look - The widget (automatically) refreshed itself w/ all updates getting displayed w/out the need to refresh the page (or widget) myself - nice!
widget updated.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2023-07-18, 15:48

Btw, for your benefit Night Wing (in case you're interested) - those announcement lines (you see in the widget - 3 of them which can be modified to include whatever amount you prefer, i.e. notice the "pages" reference for additional prior announcements at the bottom of the widget) serve as links to the Pale Moon forum announcement board - so they provide an easy way (w/ one click) to quickly go directly to the (specific) announcement for greater details. It's all a very convenient and simple functionality in regards to providing easy access to Pale Moon "Official" announcements. ;)

I can say w/out hesitation, you will not find any start-page that is comparable to start.me.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-07-18, 18:54

@ Pallid Planetoid

I do not use the Start.Me page which partners with Pale Moon at all. The only time I see it, is when I install the newest version of Linux Mint or MX Linux on a SSD and then put linux Pale Moon on either Mint or MX. After that, I never see it again until the next installation of a linux distro whether it be Mint, MX or playing around with the newest linux distro, Debian 12 (code name Bookworm) in Xfce.

In the morning when I turn on one of my computers I'm going to be working with that day, either Linux Mint or MX Linux, it takes me to the Desktop. Then I click on the Pale Moon launcher icon and it takes me to my home page which is the Startpage search site.

https://www.startpage.com/

As you stated, different people have different approaches. I don't mind coming to the Pale Moon Forum site and finding out what people are doing with their use of Pale Moon which includes any announcements of a new version of Pale Moon.

And all through my life, I've "never been one to run with the pack" so to speak.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox