Why other browsers don't let you choose cookies to keep?

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
VA1DER
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by VA1DER » 2023-07-13, 17:42

As I've been migrating back to Pale Moon, I've fallen back in love with what seems to me to be a no-brainer feature of a browser. That is, the ability to specify on a site basis whether I want to allow its cookies, allow them for just a session, or deny them.

Chromium, and all its bastards....er....children... only allows you to accept all cookies permanently, or delete all cookies at the end of a session. There is no middle ground to retain, say, bank cookies. Or Wikipedia and other forum login cookies.

I wondered many times why in any Chromium-based browser this a) wasn't implemented, and b) why people didn't demand it.

I understand the first. While at times I chide myself for tinfoil-hat suspicions, I think it's probably reasonable to assume that Google wants to only pay lip-service to cookie security and wants all people to set their browsers to just accept all cookies permenently. This way it helps their advertising tracking. So they offer no middle ground. You can basically never have the benefit of a permanent cookie unless you let them all be permanent.

But it really astounded me that people just accepted it. I really wonder why this is.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Why other browsers don't let you choose cookies to keep?

Unread post by therube » 2023-07-13, 20:30

What OS do you use?

If Win10/11, what, you "just accept it" :evilgrin: ;-).

bSun0000
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Re: Why other browsers don't let you choose cookies to keep?

Unread post by bSun0000 » 2023-07-14, 04:31

Off-topic:
Consume, vote Reptilian.