Build failure on illumos

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
ptribble
Moongazer
Moongazer

Build failure on illumos

Unread post by ptribble » 2023-05-16, 18:38

Building 32.2.0 on illumos I get the following build failure
24:54.08 Undefined first referenced
24:54.08 symbol in file
24:54.08 malloc_usable_size ../../extensions/spellcheck/hunspell/src/libhunspell.so
Now, illumos does not have malloc_usable_size() (although Solaris 11.4 does) and configure already worked that out correctly.

But hunspell doesn't appear to use that function anyway; this looks to me like something accidentally pulled in from mozglue. And it's only hunspell that appears to be confused in this way - if I build with the system hunspell then Pale Moon builds and runs quite happily (although the packaging didn't pick up that I was using the system hunspell, but that's a different issue entirely).

Thanks for your time.

-Peter

jobbautista9
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Build failure on illumos

Unread post by jobbautista9 » 2023-05-18, 02:56

This is fallout from PR Issue #2212 (UXP). When I split hunspell out of libxul I had to link it to mozglue to make it work. I didn't have a SunOS-based system to work with so I couldn't really test it there at the time... I can try investigating the bustage, though I suspect athenian200 would probably be able to get to the root cause of this problem faster than I can, as he has a Solaris system. Hopefully he's not too busy with his uni...

For now you can build against system hunspell as a workaround in the meantime if that works for you. It's not a really big and complex library (unlike ICU) and we do allow non-standard build options if it's necessary to make it work on the target platform, which in this case it is indeed necessary.

merry mimas

XUL add-ons developer. You can find a list of add-ons I manage at http://rw.rs/~job/software.html.

Mima avatar by 絵虎. Pixiv post: https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/15431817