Suggstion: Improved bookmarks

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
h4ever
New to the forum
New to the forum

Suggstion: Improved bookmarks

Unread post by h4ever » 2023-04-18, 12:44

Hello, I am coming with an idea how to improve bookmarks. Just tell me if bad or good idea. On windows I often use Development tools on Firefox and what I miss in general is, that when I read an article and there is like small text, gray, blured text and I need to change css properties on some elements. Like the background of the page, or bigger text. So I change the properties, usually like 4 properties, I increase text size, I change font-family to Tahoma and instead color gray I use black. So now my eyes are not tired. But now the problem is that when I create bookmark, and I close the page and then I come again to read the same article, the css properties are not saved. But would it be possible to add some meta tags with description of the css which I have changed? At least to modify the css stylesheed, after the bookmark is selected and the article is loaded. Then the metadata css would be applied to certain stylesheets or if more advanced development would be finished, the css properties to div elements would be added. So if this information would be saved in the bookmark, I could possibly do the same for any page on the same site when I would just copy the bookmark, and changed its link... But the metadata would stay there with the bookmark. So for example now I read article about T-72, next T-90M, and then about drones. But why should I always set these css properties... that is boring. I would just copy and change the bookmark (or maybe even I could just copy the css metadata and to paste them to another bookmark... if implemented. Easy peasy).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Suggstion: Improved bookmarks

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-04-18, 13:57

Bookmarks are not designed to store arbitrary edits to pages and it really isn't within the scope of bookmarks to do this.
You may, however, want to look into one of the multitude of extensions to the browser that can help you with legibility of pages in a more structural way, avoiding the need to dive into devtools and css code entirely.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Kerebron
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Kerebron » 2023-04-18, 17:19

h4ever, why don't you use an extension to permanently modify webpage appearance, like Stylem or Stylish, for example.

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2023-04-19, 00:58

As Kerebron suggests, IMHO your most likely solution lies in adding a CSS userstyle to Pale Moon that modifies webpage appearance.

The easiest way to do this is by using Lootyhoof's excellent Stylem userstyle manager extension which allows for very flexible control of any CSS userstyles written or downloaded; i.e. much easier to add, write, modify, and then switch userstyles On/Off as required. CSS userstyles added to Pale Moon via Stylem can relate to either the browser's UI (userChrome.css) or webpage content (userContent.css).

Given your requirements to "usually change 4 properties" to improve webpage readablity... perhaps install, test, and then modify this existing userstyle available as a download from userstyles.org with slightly odd name 'text-spacing for accessibility WCAG 2.1 AA 1.4.12'... the 'WCAG' = Web Content Accessibility Guidelines... as published by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), the main international standards organisation for the Internet.

https://userstyles.org/styles/169861/text-spacing-for-accessibility-wcag-2-1-aa-1-4-12

Userstyles - text-spacing-for-accessibility-wcag-2-1-aa-1-4-12.jpg
Userstyles.org listing - 'text-spacing-for-accessibility-wcag-2-1-aa-1-4-12'

Userstyles can be applied to specific websites or webpages only... see discussion regarding modifying Wikipedia's new Vector 2022 UI: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=29451&p=236647#p236638

PS. Don't forget the Reader View extension! Another simple way to modify the text size and other major 'readability' properties of most webpages in one click. :)