Comments can get duplicated in a GitHub issue

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
kdbloop
New to the forum
New to the forum

Comments can get duplicated in a GitHub issue

Unread post by kdbloop » 2023-04-05, 10:32

I am new to this forum, so excuse me if my first bug report is not at the right place.
I really appreciate Pale Moon and I use it almost exclusively on one of my main PC, running x64 version of Windows 7.
When using GitHub with the latest build however, I saw that all the comments in a GitHub issue often gets repeated, this can be annoying, especially when they are many comments. I was unable to find any other mention of this issue on the Pale Moon forum.

I have a very simple way to reproduce the issue:
1) Create a new clean profile
2) Go to your GitHub account, create an issue in a place that you do not care about spamming.
3) Type in a first comment, everything works fine here.
4) Type a second comment, and here you will see that the first comment gets repeated.

Example:

Before hitting the Comment button on Comment 2:
Before hitting Comment.png
After hitting the Comment button:
After hitting Comment.png

You can see that the Comment 1 gets repeated, If you were to create a third comment, then you would see even more repetition.
Hitting F5 to refresh the page fixes the problem.

I tried both with the x64b version of Pale Moon installed via the 64bit installer (default settings)
I also tried using the 32 bit 7-Zipped portable version still 32.1.0 and I got exactly the same Issue.

My CPU is a Core2Duo@3.0GHz (E8400) and I have an NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache.

A bit off topic:
Before version 32.1.0 came out I was using the excellent martok's palefill and I have memory that I did see this issue too, but I can not be 100% sure. So I tried to set dom.webcomponents.enabled;false and tried the same after installing palefill, and this time I had no issue. So I probably remember wrong.

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Re: Comments can get duplicated in a GitHub issue

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2023-04-05, 11:11

Confirmed. GitHub comments seem to rely on the performance observer and without it, older copies of the "comment" divs are not removed.

To fix this, set the dom.enable_performance_observer preference to true.

kdbloop
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by kdbloop » 2023-04-05, 11:49

Thanks a lot for the info, I should have realized this alone, because I already experimented with this setting, but I kept it disabled in the end because I did not need the auto completion menus and I was thinking this was the only thing GitHub was using PerformanceObserver for. I had not realized this was needed for basic posting.

Nuck-TH
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by Nuck-TH » 2023-04-05, 13:14

Off-topic:
The alleged need of performance monitoring functionality for such fundamentally basic thing as correctly sending comment text is such level of insanity that it isn't even funny...