V32.0.1 w/ W7 and Youtube 64 Bit

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
TechEditor
Moongazer
Moongazer

V32.0.1 w/ W7 and Youtube 64 Bit

Unread post by TechEditor » 2023-03-18, 19:53

Pale Moon has become useless with Youtube when trying to upload a video. Always a script problem that locks the browser up. Have to use Chrome. Anybody have the same problems?

jangdonggun1234
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: V32.0.1 w/ W7 and Youtube 64 Bit

Unread post by jangdonggun1234 » 2023-03-19, 03:33

I got the same problem, probably need to wait for Pale Moon to find a way to fix this and use 3rd party uploader like ShareX as workaround.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-03-19, 12:45

YouTube is owned by Google and Google has made it clear it wants people using the Google Chrome browser on YouTube. Google is not going to cater to Pale Moon.

As for me; I use Youtube everyday. Since I'm using 64 bit Linux Mint 21.1 (Vera) Xfce and also 64 bit MX Linux 21.3 (Wildflower) Xfce distros as my operating systems of choice (since I have multiple computers); I use my backup browser which is 64 bit linux Waterfox as my browser of choice on YouTube so I can't comment on 64 bit windows Pale Moon. Trying to fight anything Google owns on a browser which Google doesn't want to support amounts to a lot of frustration and is basically a lost cause.

And as a side note, Windows 7 reached EOL (end of life) in January of 2020. There are some sites which are no longer supporting Windows 7. If this is the case with YouTube because Google is not going to support Windows 7 forever, then some of you running Windows 7 will have to move on to a newer operating system even if you don't like it.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2023-03-19, 13:17

Off-topic:
Night Wing wrote:
2023-03-19, 12:45
There are some sites which are no longer supporting Windows 7. If this is the case with YouTube because Google is not going to support Windows 7 forever,
We'll make an UserAgent override for the OS. :lol:

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-03-19, 20:24

gepus wrote:
2023-03-19, 13:17
Off-topic:
Night Wing wrote:
There are some sites which are no longer supporting Windows 7. If this is the case with YouTube because Google is not going to support Windows 7 forever,
Off-topic:
And Google will make a counter to that so there will always be a problem with YouTube and Pale Moon no matter the operating system. That is a given. :twisted:
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-03-19, 21:18

When it comes to "productivity web apps" the same status quo applies across a broad range of software. The same if you want to do any sort of office work, Microsoft office is the staple and if you use an alternative, it may or may not work.
This is even more so the case when you're using web services owned by a browser vendor. Microsoft web services work best in Edge. Google web services work best in Chrome.

YouTube is owned by Google. Especially if you want to intimately interact with it (i.e. as a creator, not just a consumer) then that browser requirement becomes even more stringent, because Google can (and will!) use any leverage it has to push more people onto Chrome, for the very simple reason that their search integration doesn't cost them money, unlike other browsers where they have to pay for the search engine partnership (Firefox's primary income stream)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Eduardo Lucas
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Eduardo Lucas » 2023-03-20, 01:29

Night Wing wrote:
2023-03-19, 20:24
gepus wrote:
2023-03-19, 13:17
Off-topic:
Night Wing wrote:
Off-topic:
And Google will make a counter to that so there will always be a problem with YouTube and Pale Moon no matter the operating system. That is a given. :twisted:
Off-topic:
Google has never been so interested in excluding operating systems as much as they do exclude browser engines. The only exception was Windows Phone. Why would they decide to do it now? There are people normally running youtube on vista and XP, although in their old chromium/ff versions.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-03-20, 12:37

Eduardo Lucas wrote:
2023-03-20, 01:29
Off-topic:
Google has never been so interested in excluding operating systems as much as they do exclude browser engines. The only exception was Windows Phone. Why would they decide to do it now? There are people normally running youtube on vista and XP, although in their old chromium/ff versions.
Off-topic:
So you think Google isn't interested in operating systems? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a Chromebook running the Chrome operating system which Google owns? And a lot of schools in the lower grades, the schools steer the children to use Chromebooks.

Google has it's hands or should I say, "tentacles" into "everything".

The gist of what I say is, one cannot count on anything to remain "static" (not changing) when it comes to Google and it's parent company, Alphabet.

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2023-03-20, 15:19

Night Wing wrote:
Off-topic:

The gist of what I say is, one cannot count on anything to remain "static" (not changing) when it comes to Google and it's parent company, Alphabet.
Mirror, mirror, on the wall... who is the most omniscient tracker of them all?

ContraChrome - Behind the two-way mirror (snip from ContraChrome).jpg
"You think you are browsing the web, when in reality, Google and others are browsing YOU"

Above excellent and all too true cartoon snipped from 'Contra Chrome' webcomic book by graphic artist Leah Elliott.

Leah's 2022 update is a meticulous rearrangement of Scott McCloud‘s Google-commissioned Chrome comic from 2008:

Hi, My name is Scott McCloud....jpg
"Hi, My name is Scott McCloud... back in 2008 I created a comic book for Google"

--------------------

"The first step is to break the one-way mirror. We need to shed light on the tangled network of trackers that lurk in the shadows behind the glass. In the sunlight, these systems of commercial surveillance are exposed for what they are: Orwellian, but not omniscient; entrenched, but not inevitable. Once we, the users, understand what we're up against, we can fight back."

Concluding paragraph from: Behind the One-Way Mirror: A Deep Dive Into the Technology of Corporate Surveillance - Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Dec 2019.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-03-20, 20:42

Blacklab wrote:
2023-03-20, 15:19
Mirror, mirror, on the wall... who is the most omniscient tracker of them all?
Meh, imagine hitting so close to but missing the main point of their browser engine and standards monopoly, or their controlled opposition, Mozilla. IIRC the comic or another one like it endorses Mozilla as an alternative, like every other idiot* that complains about Google :roll:

* - not people on this forum.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Eduardo Lucas
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Eduardo Lucas » 2023-03-21, 05:05

Night Wing wrote:
2023-03-20, 12:37
Off-topic:
So you think Google isn't interested in operating systems? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a Chromebook running the Chrome operating system which Google owns? And a lot of schools in the lower grades, the schools steer the children to use Chromebooks.

Off-topic:
I think there's a misunderstanding here or i coudn't give my view clearly (native language barriers) or both. I'm saying Alphabet has not been historically prone to artificially blocking operating systems from running their services, (aside from windows phone, which was artificially blocked when google broke microsoft silverlight youtube app back in 2014) and that it seems a stretch to suppose they will do it with windows 7. There were people running fallback code youtube on old browsers on win9x not too far away from the late 00s and quite into the 2010s, while google never bothered to hard block windows 98SE from running a video.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2023-03-21, 13:31

Off-topic:
@ Eduardo Lucas

There isn't a misunderstanding. You just don't care for my point of view which is understandable. Windows 7, in my opinion, was the best version of Windows I ever used. And many people are still using it. But time marches on and subsequently things change and not always for the better. And this is why I now use two different linux distros as my operating systems of choice.

Now back on the off topic subject on hand. I will give you an analogy which will be a two pronged strategy.

Lets say there is a person who is a maintainer of a very well known website with one billion monthly active users. These users are basically addicted to this site and if they can't reach it, they basically start having withdrawal symptoms.

The CEO comes to the maintainer and says, "We need to do less work while maintaining our percentage share of active monthly users and inflate the bottom line for profit. :think:

So the website maintainer says, "Lets start by only allowing people using the Chrome, Edge, Safari and Firefox browsers to access our site. This way we don't have to spend lots of time on those small market share browsers. All we need is a banner that pops up and gives them the new policy browser change when they next visit our site. :mrgreen: The CEO says, "Brilliant! Do it." :twisted:

A couple of months go by and the website maintainer comes up with a new idea and speaks with the CEO again and says, "I've come up with another good way to cut our workload and our costs." :idea: The CEO says, "Lets hear it." :think:

The website maintainer says, "The Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 operating systems have reached EOL (end of life). The vast majority of people are now running Windows 10 and Windows 11 so lets cut the workload and just support these two Windows operating systems from Microsoft. We'll save money by implementing this new Windows operating system policy." :D

Then the CEO says, "What about the users who will get mad?" :( The website maintainer says; "Lets say 10 million of our users will yell, bitch, moan, groan and threaten to leave. Those 10 million users are just a drop of water in the ocean compared with one billion users. But in the end, the vast majority of these 10 million users are addicted to our site so these users will grab their ankles, bend over and comply.

We won't lose much when it comes to monthly users percentage wise and we'll generate more money when it comes to the bottom line. :thumbup: We'll announce the new policy with another pop up banner when they again visit our site." :)

Then the CEO says, "Brilliant! Do it." :twisted:

The above is a good analogy. BTW, if you're one of those people who is addicted to a site with a billion monthly users and you "have to have it at any and all costs", you should thank your lucky stars........................I'm "NOT" the CEO of that imaginary company above. ;)

Eduardo Lucas
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Eduardo Lucas » 2023-03-21, 15:50

Night Wing wrote:
2023-03-21, 13:31
Off-topic:
There isn't a misunderstanding. You just don't care for my point of view which is understandable.
Off-topic:
Firstly, i do care about your point of view. I think caring about people's points of view, perspectives, opinions and arguments is important because when i do speak, only and exclusively, to people who hold the same viewpoints i do, this may make my own knowledge and ability to learn from others compromised. I just don't think i can see it as something likely to happen. I mean: Google has always mostly decided to not make hard blocks on OSes when developing their websites, or even smaller website owners rarely decided to hardblock OSes. They may just decide to not even bother to test their platforms in these OSes anymore, but this may not force them to hard block them. There is the case of some projects and games that still run/compile properly and run on older OS versions. There are github developers saying they "have nothing to do with arbitrary definitions of microsoft of what is deemed acceptable of support or not" and rejecting to drop their features which allow these systems to run their software because they do not see it as necessary. There are even big companies like Meta who have horrid practices in terms of development practices but allow their websites and apps to run on older (albeit chromium) browsers.

What i do differentiate is that their way of viewing things may not be the same of Microsoft or Google. But i think this whole conversation got too offtopic even for the context.

TechEditor
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by TechEditor » 2023-03-22, 22:19

I will try ShareX. Thanks for the tip.