Abandon HTML Manifest / Start with -P Shows Profile List

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
pale guru
Moonbather
Moonbather

Abandon HTML Manifest / Start with -P Shows Profile List

Unread post by pale guru » 2023-01-09, 19:01

(1)
Just came across lyrix.at and Pale Moon asking for permission to ”store data on your computer for offline use“. The source code looks like:
<html manifest="/lyrixv1.appcache" lang="de">

If I am not mistaken, this feature is unofficial and deprecated. Firefox and Chrome dropped support some 25 versions ago.

I suggest Pale Moon drops support as well (and thus gets rid of asking for permission).

(2) With multiple profiles, Pale Moon shows “Choose User Profile“ window only on first startup. Even when you fire
palemoon -P
it starts a second browser window with the profile already in use. I have to add some gibberish to get the “Choose User Profile“ window again, like
palemoon -P xyz

Suggestion: Pale Moon shows “Choose User Profile“ window again when fired with the -P parameter.
… tanning in dimmed LCD light. – Evry 1′s a beginner, baby, that's the truth…

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Abandon HTML Manifest / Start with -P Shows Profile List

Unread post by therube » 2023-01-09, 20:18

-p, will bring up profile manager
-p <name>, will open profile named <name>
-profile <path>, says to open a profile at a particular <path>
-no-remote, is what you'll need to open a second (or more) simultaneous instance of PM

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-01-09, 22:02

I have no intention of dropping html manifest support. It is useful for keeping static files stored locally, and removing it will break some older web apps. I don't care that Mozilla abandoned what I think is good technology in favour of pushing for "always on, always online" tech instead (are you surprised Google wants to get pinged every time? or that Mozilla followed Google in that respect?).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

pale guru
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by pale guru » 2023-01-11, 19:14

How do I switch Manifest off then? Pale Moon asks me each time for permission.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-01-11, 19:42

Preferences -> Advanced -> tab "Network" -> "Offline Web Content and User Data" -> When a website asks to store data for offline use:
Either select "Allow by default" or "Deny".
Note that "Allow"/"Deny" will also impact non-manifest offline user data and may break things. If you simply don't want this site to ask, then next time you go there, make the appropriate selection in the prompt (either "allow" or "Never for this site" (=deny and don't ask). "Now now" means deny only for this visit.)
Attachments
Image1.png
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite