CTRL q closes the browser , even with many tabs open

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Mimine

CTRL q closes the browser , even with many tabs open

Unread post by Mimine » 2022-12-26, 17:34

Hi ,
I think this is a bug :
"control q" closes the browser, even when many tabs are open.
And even when the settings are set to "warn before closing multiple tabs".
Thanks

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: CTRL q closes the browser , even with many tabs open

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-12-26, 18:52

Ctrl+Q isn't a bound shortcut in Pale Moon. Are you sure you're using this browser?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2022-12-26, 19:14

Maybe an extension is providing that ability?

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-12-26, 19:55

Moonchild wrote:
2022-12-26, 18:52
Ctrl+Q isn't a bound shortcut in Pale Moon. Are you sure you're using this browser?
It's probably a Linux thing. Ctrl+q closes a lot of programs in GNU/Linux distros, including Pale Moon on most distros. It's being closed not because of something Pale Moon is doing, but because his Linux distro is sending a SIGKILL command to kill the Pale Moon process. If Pale Moon did not shut down at that point, it would probably be a bug.

It's not a good way to kill most programs like browsers or word processors, where you can lose a lot of data if you close without saving your work. The better way is to use the program's own File - Quit or Exit options.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2022-12-26, 19:58

Isn't SIGKILL a "hard" kill?
And they have that mapped to Ctrl+Q ?

Seems a:

stty -e
(or maybe a stty -a)

might show you what kill is mapped to.
Last edited by therube on 2022-12-26, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-12-26, 20:00

therube wrote:
2022-12-26, 19:58
Isn't SIGKILL a "hard" kill?
And they have that mapped to Ctrl+Q ?
There are several levels of SIGKILL. KILL -9 is the hardcore one. I think the one that is invoked by Ctrl+Q is milder, but it is still enough to lose all your work, because Pale Moon is going to instantly disappear.

Mimine

Unread post by Mimine » 2022-12-26, 21:37

Yes it's on linux, with the latest palemoon. I think it's a bug that palemoon doesn't warn.

I just tried CTRL + Q on firefox, and it displays a warning message :
"Close window and quit Firefox ?"
"Confirm before quitting with CTRL + Q"

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2022-12-26, 21:49

Ctrl+Q does not send a SIGKILL.
It is a shortcut highlighted in the GUI under "File" and closes the program as if the X in the upper corner has been pressed.
It is a Linux-specific shortcut and you can see it explicitly defined in the source code (though I do not remember where and I can't check right now.)

Also, wasn't there a setting under "Preferences" already for this kind of requested behaviour? It is off by default if I remember correctly.

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2022-12-26, 22:43

I confirm I use File->Quit (or ctl-Q which is the accelerator in the menu) as the normal way to exit a Pale Moon session under Linux, closing unconditionally all tabs/windows. I use the Session Manager extension to restore the session.
I have "Warn me when closing multiple tabs" unticked.
This is the desired behaviour for me. :thumbup:

I am also used to ctl-Q (mnemonic for quit) to terminate other programs, and I'm slightly annoyed by those who do not honour it (like the atril PDF viewer which uses ctl-W "close window"). I tend not to use the Window Manager functions (like Close or Kill in the window menu, my WM is configured to have no "X in the upper corner" :D ) to terminate an application, but the application own menu whenever one is available, and unless in cases of emergency.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2022-12-27, 01:08

vannilla wrote:
2022-12-26, 21:49
Ctrl+Q does not send a SIGKILL.
My bad, that's how my window manager has been set up for quite a long time. I probably am the one that chose ctrl+q, I think it was originally Alt+Shift+c. And you are right, it's not SIGKILL, it appears to be xkill.

So it looks like there are two preferences in about:config, browser.showQuitWarning (set to false), and browser.warnOnQuit (set to true). I wonder if one of those will give the OP the desired warning?

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2022-12-28, 23:03

Thread title is correct. The hotkey to close only the current tab is supposed to be Ctrl+W.
Ctrl+Q = Quit the program / app
Ctrl+W = close this Window

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2022-12-29, 07:28

Reminds me of the old videogame days:

Hey, kid! Hold ALT and type Q U E S T to unlock the secret level!