[Suggestion] Context menu in a private window - open link in a normal non-private window

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

[Suggestion] Context menu in a private window - open link in a normal non-private window

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2022-11-22, 00:40

As we all know, in a normal, non-private window, if you right-click on a link, there's a context menu option of opening that link in a private window.

However, there seems to not be an option for doing the opposite - that being the ability to open a link from a private window in a normal non-private window, so I'm suggesting such a function.

Of course, it's very possible that this is an intentional design choice in order to make it more difficult to accidentally open private browsing content in a non-private window, in which case nevermind, ignore this thread, and have a nice day. :angel:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: [Suggestion] Context menu in a private window - open link in a normal non-private window

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-11-22, 01:19

Sorry, that's technically very difficult because a private window is its own separate special (child) container by design.
It's easy to spawn a restricted environment from a non-restricted environment, but not so much the other way around.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Toa-Nuva
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: [Suggestion] Context menu in a private window - open link in a normal non-private window

Unread post by Toa-Nuva » 2022-11-22, 07:25

Ctrl+N or "File" > "New Window" on a private window can still open a new non-private window, though. Then I guess these commands are handled in a different layer where this is is not an issue...?

Either way, that is probably the quickest workaround to open a link in a new non-private window - right-click the link, click "Copy Link Location", Ctrl+N, Ctrl+V, Enter. :D

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-11-22, 09:19

Toa-Nuva wrote:
2022-11-22, 07:25
Then I guess these commands are handled in a different layer where this is is not an issue...?
The right-click menu is dealing with web content, not the browser UI (privileged).
I have to admit though that I may not have read the request properly; I was assuming it was asking to open the link in (a tab in) an existing non-privileged window, carrying all things across like session data, cookies, connection info, referrer, etc. -- that won't be simple.
Spawning an entirely fresh non-private window with a totally new navigation (with a bare URL) might not be so difficult, but... as OP indicated it might be a good idea to not make that too easy to do this, to prevent leaking essentially segregated data from a private window to a non-private window, anyway! So that's definitely something to consider the question if we want this to begin with.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite