[Suggestion] Global setting to set percentage limit for JPEG-XL's progressive download specifically for in-line images

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

[Suggestion] Global setting to set percentage limit for JPEG-XL's progressive download specifically for in-line images

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2022-11-17, 05:12

This is probably a bit of a premature suggestion since the JPEG-XL pull request seems to have only just been merged (if it even has been yet!) and heck, for all I know this sort of thing may be more appropriate for an extension rather than being baked right into the browser itself, but this is an idea I had years ago back when FLIF, the grandparent of JPEG-XL, had just recently been developed. so I figure I might as well mention this idea sooner rather than later.

So you know how JPEG-XL has a really fancy progressive download ability that works much better than the progressive downloading seen in older, pre-FLIF image formats that supported such a thing to the point that even an image that has only downloaded 20% of its data can end up being way more usable than you'd normally expect.

Now consider that Pale Moon intentionally retained the "Load images: Never" setting in the preferences that the likes of Firefox removed - a setting that is very useful when loading image-heavy pages when you are not interested in the images. However, sometimes the images still contain important information so, at least in the case of JPEG-XL, the ideal solution in my mind would be the ability to globally set all in-line JPEG-XL images to only download the first 20% of their data and then stop, or any other percentage that the user can set it to (15%, 40%, whatever).

This would also be similarly beneficial for users with a relatively slow internet connection like myself (only 10Mbps down, particularly since I have to share that with people that stream online video in the evening), not to mention the obvious benefit for those that that have a data cap and/or metered connection.

Now one thing I was concerned about though with regards to if such a function were to be only an extension rather than being built right into the browser is that of when you directly view an image or when you save an image - in such situations you ideally want 100% of the image data, not just part of it, and the partial download cap for JPEG-XL images would then only apply to in-line images. Maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about but I would think that something built right into the browser would make such a thing more feasible and that, if it were an extension, it'd be more likely that saving such an image would then also still just give you a partial download.