[Suggestion] "Show video info" in the right-click context menu that behaves just like "Show image info" except for video

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

[Suggestion] "Show video info" in the right-click context menu that behaves just like "Show image info" except for video

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2022-11-05, 04:59

Currently if you right-click on an image, there are the context menu options (among others and possibly not in this specific order):
  • View image
  • Copy image location
  • Copy image
  • Save image as...
  • View image info
Yet if you right-click on a video, you will see in its right-click context menu:
  • View video
  • Copy video location
  • Save video as...
Despite the similarity to the context menu for images, there is no video equivalent of "View image info" ("View video info") nor for "Copy image" ("Copy video").

A "Copy video" would be a bit non-sensible since I don't even thing the ability to paste videos in the way that one can paste images is something any OS supports considering that such a thing would require storing the video completely uncompressed within RAM, so such a thing being missing from the list is a given.

But a "View video info" is something that seems much more sensible and yet it does not exist. In fact, I would argue that a "View video info" is more useful than "View image info" since one can additionally find out the resolution and format of an image by opening it in its own tab and looking at the tab and/or window title, but video resolution is not something listed in the tab and/or window title despite such information being available in the "Page info" window that appears when one clicks "View image info".

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: [Suggestion] "Show video info" in the right-click context menu that behaves just like "Show image info" except for v

Unread post by ron_1 » 2022-11-05, 05:22

__NM64__ wrote:
2022-11-05, 04:59
But a "View video info" is something that seems much more sensible and yet it does not exist. In fact, I would argue that a "View video info" is more useful than "View image info" since one can additionally find out the resolution and format of an image by opening it in its own tab and looking at the tab and/or window title, but video resolution is not something listed in the tab and/or window title despite such information being available in the "Page info" window that appears when one clicks "View image info".
This would be a nice addition if it isn't hard to implement. +1

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: [Suggestion] "Show video info" in the right-click context menu that behaves just like "Show image info" except for v

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2022-11-09, 01:59

That an interesting idea. I'll wait what Moonchild says about the feasibility.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-11-09, 12:17

Honestly I don't know off-hand how easy or difficult it is to pass video metadata up the chain from content to the UI. Might be easy or might need to implement a bunch of plumbing to pass data around. It'll require some research. Feel free to open an enhancement issue on the UXP repo for this.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2022-11-09, 17:04

Moonchild wrote:
2022-11-09, 12:17
Honestly I don't know off-hand how easy or difficult it is to pass video metadata up the chain from content to the UI. Might be easy or might need to implement a bunch of plumbing to pass data around. It'll require some research. Feel free to open an enhancement issue on the UXP repo for this.
Maybe my first post wasn't clear enough but I'm not really looking for it to show additional metadata (not that I would complain if it did), rather for it to just directly show the video information that is already shown if you manually navigate to the corresponding video stream located in "View page info", kind of like a shortcut if you will.

This is why I referenced the existing "View image info" because it already behaves as essentially a shortcut to the corresponding image located in "View page info".

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-11-09, 21:04

Well that should be easy enough to do, in that case, if it should just be a shortcut to the view page info pane pre-selecting the video.
YMMV because of MSE streams likely remaining an unknown.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

__NM64__
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2022-11-09, 21:09

Moonchild wrote:
2022-11-09, 21:04
YMMV because of MSE streams likely remaining an unknown.
It could still at the very least make it easier/quicker to tell if a given video is an MSE stream since, currently, the way I find out is by in fact manually finding it in the "View page info".