[SOLVED] Pale Moon 20.2: Bookmarklets not working

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
KNTRO

[SOLVED] Pale Moon 20.2: Bookmarklets not working

Unread post by KNTRO » 2013-07-26, 11:38

Hi all.

I have an issue with 2 bookmarklets. While coming from different companies, they both stop working suddenly & simultaneously, that's pretty weird.

Your Operating system
Windows XP Professional SP3 32 bits
The exact version of Pale Moon you are using (desktop/portable. 32/64 bits, exact version number)
Pale Moon 20.2.1, 32 bits
Basic hardware information if relevant: CPU, graphics card, amount of RAM
No relevant, I think
A description of the problem
Both bookmarklets —Diigolet from Diigo and + bitmark from bitly— are not working currently with Pale Moon 20.2.1, when they used to.
Bugzilla bug number if found
No found
Steps to reproduce the problem
Just drag & drop those bookmarklet into your Bookmarks bar, load any webpage —like a newspaper's article, for instance— and click on the bookmarklets. Please note you'll need a Diigo account, as well as a bitly account. Sorry for this inconvenience.
Expected result
Well, they should work as they did previously
Actual result
They ask me to log in each service, while I am currently logged in! Some kind of bookmarklet/cookies issue perhaps?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by KNTRO on 2013-07-26, 15:49, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon 20.2: Bookmarklets not working

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-07-26, 15:38

Since these are obviously web applets using server-side code, have you considered asking either company if they have changed something (e.g. to cater to changed code in the upcoming Firefox 23, breaking compatibility with the v20 code base) or if there are workarounds?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

KNTRO

Re: Pale Moon 20.2: Bookmarklets not working

Unread post by KNTRO » 2013-07-26, 15:49

Moonchild wrote:Since these are obviously web applets using server-side code, have you considered asking either company if they have changed something (e.g. to cater to changed code in the upcoming Firefox 23, breaking compatibility with the v20 code base) or if there are workarounds?
Thanks for replying, Moonchild.

I think I found the solution for this, strange solution though. I accepted 3rd parties cookies and this is working like a charm again. What the hell 3rd parties cookies have to do with it? :? I'm even a little worry about the future, default 3rd parties cookies block by Mozilla. Can you imagine that? A lot of stuffs not working no more just because they were 3rd party cookie dependent? Geez…! :|

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: [SOLVED] Pale Moon 20.2: Bookmarklets not working

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-07-26, 16:01

Not such a strange solution -- it all depends on how these bookmarklets work. Since you are visiting a different site from the bookmark, having 3rd party cookies (i.e. cookies that are from a different domain than the one you are visiting) blocked may prevent the login data from being communicated to the bookmarklet providers, resulting in a non-loggedin state for them when you try to bookmark on the provider's website. It's likely using the very transmission of information that Mozilla thinks is reason to block them.

I'm going to see if I can approach this differently: removing 3rd party cookies at the end of browsing sessions, instead.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2013-07-26, 16:25

Moonchild wrote:Not such a strange solution -- it all depends on how these bookmarklets work. Since you are visiting a different site from the bookmark, having 3rd party cookies (i.e. cookies that are from a different domain than the one you are visiting) blocked may prevent the login data from being communicated to the bookmarklet providers, resulting in a non-loggedin state for them when you try to bookmark on the provider's website. It's likely using the very transmission of information that Mozilla thinks is reason to block them.
Thanks for this in-depth explanation, Moonchild. I must confess I didn't know anything about that relation between 3rd party cookies & bookmarklets.
Moonchild wrote:I'm going to see if I can approach this differently: removing 3rd party cookies at the end of browsing sessions, instead.
Gotcha. But will that mean necessary that one should log in every service, with every new browsing session? That'd be pretty much like running private browsing sessions, wouldn't that be?

Thanks again, Child!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-07-26, 17:44

KNTRO wrote:Gotcha. But will that mean necessary that one should log in every service, with every new browsing session? That'd be pretty much like running private browsing sessions, wouldn't that be?
No, since cookies for you being on the site would still be set. If I understand the way it's done correctly, relying on 3rd party cookies, then it would be a cookie that is only set temporarily to bookmark the site (visit the site, call up the bookmar, cookie is set 1st party, then redirected back to the site you were on before, then cookie is read (3rd party for that site) to make the entry into the online bookmarks), and wouldn't be used otherwise. If you would block them immediately, then this temporary use would also be impossible, since it will never be able to read the cookie again that was set.

Just going by assumptions here, though, but it would make sense to do it this way when blocking 3rd party cookies doesn't work.