Potential issue with rtl layout?

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
fuzzlesnuz
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Potential issue with rtl layout?

Unread post by fuzzlesnuz » 2022-06-17, 06:07

I'm working on a theme for Pale Moon and I am using the "Force RTL" Firefox addon to test it when PM is in rtl mode. In the process of that, I was familiarizing myself with how the default PM theme looks in RTL mode and noticed a potential(?) problem. I call it a potential problem because all my PCs are en-US and I'm not set up to test actual rtl locales, so I have to use that addon to force the rtl layout. And, because it is a Firefox addon, I can't be 100% certain that it is working properly in Pale Moon.

The asymmetrical outer shape of the back button is not mirrored, so it doesn't line up with the forward button.
Fresh profile, PM 31.1.0, only addon is the Force RTL addon.

For what it's worth, Firefox doesn't have this issue.

The [url] bbcode tags don't like the CA archive urls so here it is as an ugly and unclickable link: caa:addon/force-rtl

Again, I don't have a proper rtl system to test with, so this could just be a whole lot of nothing.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Potential issue with rtl layout?

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-06-17, 07:39

I don't think the whole system has to be RTL to test RTL languages, the browser's locale seems independent of the OS locale. I tried installing an Arabic langpack and it seemed to flip everything around just fine...
2022-06-17.png
I don't understand a word of it, but I know it's an RTL language and I'm familiar enough with the menus to be able to get it back to English from there. LOL.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2022-06-17, 17:36

athenian200 wrote:
2022-06-17, 07:39
the browser's locale seems independent of the OS locale.
Yes, there are a couple of PM locale switcher extensions which may be useful - though not here as there are no rtl locales included.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

fuzzlesnuz
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by fuzzlesnuz » 2022-06-18, 05:00

Falna wrote:
2022-06-17, 17:36
Yes, there are a couple of PM locale switcher extensions which may be useful - though not here as there are no rtl locales included.
Links?
Searching rtl on APMO yields zero results.

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2022-06-18, 14:17

fuzzlesnuz wrote:
2022-06-18, 05:00
Links?
Searching rtl on APMO yields zero results.
https://addons.palemoon.org/search/?terms=locale - but as mentioned above, no rtl languages included.

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...