Firefox 11a1-UX: an impression

Talk about code development, features, specific bugzilla bugs, enhancements, patches, and other highly technical things.

Moderator: satrow

Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific referenced Bugzilla bugs, mercurial, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Most "bug reports" do not belong in this board and should initially be posted in Community Support or other relevant support boards.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Firefox 11a1-UX: an impression

Unread postby Moonchild » Mon, 14 Nov 2011, 12:34

To stay ahead of what the Mozilla Corp. plans to do with Firefox, I gave 11a1-UX a whirl.
Even with the "javascript improvements" in v9, the first impression was that it was a lug, and sluggish.
Running it (sandboxed) on a Firefox 7.0.1 profile, there was no visible difference in the UI at first glance, so at least they mostly kept the option in place to keep current UIs (for the time being). Painfully absent was the "show all tabs" option, the graphical display with search being forced disabled to use a simple drop-down list.

Starting and browsing a few minutes, it started spiking my CPU and my hard disk. No idea what it was doing, but no doubt cache bustage and/or eating ram like potato chips and starting to swap out.

Then, the "new tab" page: showing most visited and bookmarked pages - open a new tab, prepare for 100% processor usage for a good 30 seconds as it loads and renders thumbnails for the pages... :|

Not for one or other, I ran it through Peacekeeper and it got confirmed: Noticeably slower than Firefox 7, and much slower than Pale Moon 7:

First impression: Is it even worth my time? No.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

Return to “Development (discussion)”