Including ad blocking in the browser core

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
daemonspudguy
Fanatic
Fanatic
Location: Marietta, Ohio, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Re: Including ad blocking in the browser core

Unread post by daemonspudguy » 2022-05-05, 17:11

moonbat wrote:
2022-05-05, 13:20
Unless English isn't his native tongue, which seems to be unlikely, it should be quite obvious that I am not referring to people with actual disabilities. This is exactly what political correctness is all about - fuck nuance or context and just blindly visually challenged-ly get offended at the use of words.
Why are you acting so angered by a request to not use a slur?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-05, 18:01

Off-topic:
daemonspudguy wrote:
2022-05-05, 17:11
moonbat wrote:
2022-05-05, 13:20
Unless English isn't his native tongue, which seems to be unlikely, it should be quite obvious that I am not referring to people with actual disabilities. This is exactly what political correctness is all about - fuck nuance or context and just blindly visually challenged-ly get offended at the use of words.
Why are you acting so angered by a request to not use a slur?
Why are you acting so angered by seeing the word "retarded" (I assume? maybe it was ADHD you tripped over? or something else?) in a humorous context? It's not a slur, it's not used in a demeaning context and is not denigrating anyone in the way it was used.
If you still feel there's a problem with that, send a private message to either Admin or myself explaining in detail what the problem is, but do not continue in this thread.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2022-05-05, 19:54

daemonspudguy wrote:
2022-05-05, 17:10
... Also, please use they/them pronouns when referring to me.
Off-topic:
Everybody understands (or at least most do) that terms like "he" or you "guys" etc, has been and still is commonly used in generic terms and therefore is not at all thought of in terms of "gender". It would appear you support "woke" political correctness to one extreme of the spectrum of political consensus and as such want to insist everybody else must do the same - so any other opinions held by others who may disagree with you should not have any say.... how is that at all fair?

This is of course not to say you do not have a right to express your one-sided opinions but at the same time -- how about taking into consideration that others may not hold the same opinions as yours? To be clear, I'm not speaking in terms of what can be considered potentially derogatory terms that have been discussed here - I am talking about long held neutral terms such as "he" or "you guys" etc that everybody understands is intended to be generic in nature.

Just a suggestion, how about the "woke" (in general) try out an approach that is a little more balanced (less extreme) where alternative opinions can actually be freely expressed as opposed to insisting that everybody must be required to comply to just their one-sided-end of the political extreme. Keep your opinions as you wish (and as such use your "woke" terms as you wish), but understand that your opinions are yours and not necessary everybody else's (hence respect that others may express themselves in different terms) as well. Those that disagree on either side of the political-divide should be able to respect the opinions held by both sides equally (and not insist that either side must conform to either of the opposite side)-- does that seem fair at all?
... That's all I have to say in the matter...
Off-topic:
(other than to make on last point, out the common sense awareness, that pronouns such as "they/them" are understood to be "plural" in nature as opposed to the "singular" pronouns 'he/she" that the former, as requested, is presumably replacing. (Honestly, these kinds of verbal gymnastics would seem to be reason enough to forgo using these recent modish "PC" alternatives to common standards that have been in place for millenniums)
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2022-05-06, 03:37, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

daemonspudguy
Fanatic
Fanatic
Location: Marietta, Ohio, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Unread post by daemonspudguy » 2022-05-05, 20:15

Off-topic:
I was literally just asking that someone use my preferred pronouns. I'm non-binary and prefer they/them. I also don't know what the fuck you're talking about with all the "woke" stuff and political correctness. Ron_1 was talking about me, so I made sure he was aware of my preferred pronouns.

Mæstro
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Mæstro » 2022-05-05, 20:33

daemonspudguy wrote:
2022-05-05, 20:15
Off-topic:
I was literally just asking that someone use my preferred pronouns.
‘Preferred pronouns’ are peculiar to Yankee university life. Using or embracing these is rare in most places, including here.
Off-topic:
English, like many Indo-Germanic languages, has three grammatical genders: masculine, feminine and neuter (literally, neither). A being’s grammatical gender has nought to do with its natural sex, animacy or personal preferences. Thus, ‘child’ and ‘lion’ are neuter in English, and take the pronoun ‘it’, while ‘ship’ and ‘Japan’ are feminine and take ‘she’. ‘They’ indicates plural grammatical number, not gender, and is used for all three genders.
I should note the following from the code of conduct:
Moonchild wrote: Please do not start discussions about politics, religion, or other touchy subjects that are not necessarily related to the platform and its applications (off-topic) and can easily lead to an very unwelcome atmosphere. Although enforcing of this point will be done leniently, you are asked to apply common sense and stop a particular line of conversation if it gets too heated or opinionated for the community’s overall atmosphere. If you want to continue an off-topic or in-depth discussion with someone about such topics, please take it to private chat/channels!

If your background, religion, upbringing or other social factors make you more sensitive than average in terms of social interaction, imagery and/or language use, and if you easily take offense or are prone to moral outrage over opinions of others, then please understand that this community may possibly not be a good match for you or require you to put in extra effort to be a content member. You should consider this before you decide to join the community in that case, and understand it may require effort to adjust to our average level of tolerance.
Browser: Pale Moon (Pusser’s repository for Debian)
Operating System: Linux Mint Debian Edition 4 (amd64)
※Receiving Debian 10 LTS security upgrades
Hardware: HP Pavilion DV6-7010 (1400 MHz, 6 GB)
Formerly user TheRealMaestro: æsc is the best letter.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-05-06, 13:10

Off-topic:
daemonspudguy wrote:
2022-05-05, 20:15
I was literally just asking that someone use my preferred pronouns. I'm non-binary and prefer they/them.
Maybe you should then also not choose a user name that clearly identifies yourself as a male. :P
Either way, take this to private messages. It doesn't belong in this thread and as pointed out is not following expected conduct. We want to avoid heated off-topic debate about sensitive subjects. this is a tech forum first and foremost; stick to the topic of the forum. If you're just here to be offended (you've tripped -twice- now over people's linguistic choices in this one thread...) then please take your leave.

Please get back to the topic at hand if you want to continue here.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite