palemoon and link to bounty info

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

palemoon and link to bounty info

Unread post by dapgo » 2022-04-07, 09:48

I haven't realized before about bounties on Palemoon/UXP but i saw the link to Bounty (http://developer.palemoon.org/docs/bounty/) it is crashing with a:

classGenerateContent::loadAndDisplay - Unable to load content

Checking the archive I can read the failing content:
https://web.archive.org/web/20201125013614/http://developer.palemoon.org/docs/bounty/

Such as point:
A typical bounty will be in the order of $50 to $250 (USD), but may be higher depending on the overall complexity of the issue, complexity of the solution, and importance of the issue to the project.

And looking on repos i can see that the label is in use for some open tasks :)

https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/UXP/issues?q=&type=all&sort=&state=open&labels=280&milestone=0&assignee=0

I assume that these bounties are defined by the project and finance from its budget.

But, Can we(the users) propose bounties for features, vote for them, collect money and try to find developers interested in this tasks?
Would Moonchild productions support this activity from its web?
For addons I don't see impact on the browser, and for browser features, you core developer should be involved in the definition of features/goals/estimations.

What do you think ¿?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: palemoon and link to bounty info

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-04-07, 19:10

I don't even know why that page was taken down. :/
Actually I do know. It was taken down after we were forced to close our repositories in response to blatant license violations, and it was assumed nobody would be contributing as a result anyway while that was in effect. But unlike the git build instructions which were archived, it was simply deleted outright, so I wasn't aware of it. I'll get that back up soon.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2022-04-08, 08:44

Moonchild wrote:
2022-04-07, 19:10
I don't even know why that page was taken down. :/
Actually I do know. It was taken down after we were forced to close our repositories in response to blatant license violations, and it was assumed nobody would be contributing as a result anyway while that was in effect. But unlike the git build instructions which were archived, it was simply deleted outright, so I wasn't aware of it. I'll get that back up soon.
What about the last questions about having bounties for features/addons defined and financed by end users?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-04-08, 11:24

dapgo wrote:
2022-04-08, 08:44
What about the last questions about having bounties for features/addons defined and financed by end users?
I have no problems with that, but I don't really think that's something I can organize myself other than offering a place to discuss these things. I could make a separate board on the forum for it if that's going to be useful and there is enough desire to do such things. If you want me to be escrow for user funds after an issue has been assigned until someone delivers, then I can also do that, but I won't collect funds explicitly for something from users that doesn't actually have someone working on it yet; that's just wrong.

Ultimately, what you're proposing doesn't really involve the devs, since it would involve bounties paid by users to external developers submitting code to the project... Users could organize this themselves if that's what they want to do to get more development done? Ultimately I don't care who helps with issues on the project, as long as it's done properly and responsibly. They can be hired help from fiverr or something for all I care :)
I'm also open to adding more bounties from the project side if enough people think it should be elevated to that status, but in that case it will have to come from the donation pool for funding and there won't be a guarantee that it's going to be done any time soon as it needs to be volunteered work or done by us directly (which defeats the whole point of a bounty for an issue...). So far, turnout for bounty issues has been extremely low.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dapgo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dapgo » 2022-04-28, 06:39

Moonchild wrote:
2022-04-08, 11:24

I have no problems with that, but I don't really think that's something I can organize myself other than offering a place to discuss these things. I could make a separate board on the forum for it if that's going to be useful and there is enough desire to do such things. If you want me to be escrow for user funds after an issue has been assigned until someone delivers, then I can also do that, but I won't collect funds explicitly for something from users that doesn't actually have someone working on it yet; that's just wrong.
I think this can be good to see how many people is interested and to start an open discussion.
Before collecting real money, a poll can be created to estimate numbers and the potential money that can get collected.
Moonchild wrote:
2022-04-08, 11:24
Ultimately, what you're proposing doesn't really involve the devs, since it would involve bounties paid by users to external developers submitting code to the project... Users could organize this themselves if that's what they want to do to get more development done? Ultimately I don't care who helps with issues on the project, as long as it's done properly and responsibly. They can be hired help from fiverr or something for all I care :)
Most users have not enough time, knowledge, experience or confidence to start from the scratch an initiative of this type, but maybe with bit of help from you and your web platform... (fingers crossed)

Yes, fiveer is full of extension devs, but i don't know how many can/want to do XUL..