Most notable user-facing/implementation changes

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Most notable user-facing/implementation changes

Unread post by JoeyG » 2022-03-18, 22:54

Dropping support for 3rd-party full themes has been alluded to for quite awhile, but I was still sort of surprised it wasn't mentioned among the "Most notable user-facing/implementation changes". It certainly was the first thing I noted.

Also, I'm wondering if the following somewhat cryptic statement applies to the full themes: "Please understand that this gives more freedom for people to use potentially incompatible and old/insecure browser extensions, but also means we will have a more "hands-off" approach to it from this point forward which as a consequence means you will have to resolve more issues yourself and take more care, especially when using external/old extensions."

I've been resolving issues myself since Netscape, and if I know where I'm supposed to "take care", I certainly will. A bit more guidance would be helpful, though.

Thank you.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Most notable user-facing/implementation changes

Unread post by athenian200 » 2022-03-19, 00:23

It is simply not true that we are "dropping support for 3rd-party full themes." I don't know where you got that from. You should be more careful about jumping to conclusions based on skim reading long posts. Many themes are now abandoned except the ones now being supported by BinOC and FranklinDM. The Pale Moon 30 release was done somewhat ahead of schedule due to a pressing security issue, so qualifying extensions and language packs took first priority, since we did not have time to do everything we had planned.

Also, this is not the correct board for this topic anyway.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-03-19, 00:26

JoeyG wrote:
2022-03-18, 22:54
Dropping support for 3rd-party full themes has been alluded to for quite awhile
It hasn't, and I don't know where you got this idea.
Full themes are, and have always been, extremely version-specific for the obvious reason that full themes must match the application they apply to exactly. Nothing has changed in that respect. 3rd party full themes not targeting Pale Moon and the used version exactly have never been supported.

So any strange conclusions or concerns you have based on that premise are baseless.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-03-19, 00:27

athenian200 wrote:
2022-03-19, 00:23
Also, this is not the correct board for this topic anyway.
I'm not sure if fits anywhere, really.
The topic title for starters is poor enough that it feels deliberately vague.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Unread post by JoeyG » 2022-03-19, 00:39

I updated from the last version to 30.

When l restarted, my theme was gone, and when l tried to reinstall it, l was told it was incompatible.

No theory, just practice.

Nonetheless, thanks for taking the time to reply.
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-03-19, 00:42

JoeyG wrote:
2022-03-19, 00:39
No theory, just practice.
So tell me then, in a practical sense, how a new milestone invalidating your strict compatibility theme equals "alluding to dropping support for 3rd party themes"?
That's a really, really big leap.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2022-03-19, 00:49

'In a practial sense': in the old version, it worked; in the new one it doesn't.

My conclusion my be off the wall, but my practical observation remains the same.
Last edited by JoeyG on 2022-03-19, 00:52, edited 1 time in total.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2022-03-19, 00:51

The topic title is vague?

Ummm, the topic title is a direct quote from your text.

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2022-03-19, 00:55

But good night ...

That's all for now, folks.

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2022-03-19, 09:49

JoeyG wrote:
2022-03-19, 00:51
Vague is the polite term. In fact it's BS. :)
Neither is it a "user-facing/implementation change" nor was support for themes dropped.
Since v30.0.0 is a milestone release, themes demanding strict compatibility will have to be modified accordingly.

Eduardo Lucas
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Eduardo Lucas » 2022-03-19, 11:17

JoeyG wrote:
2022-03-19, 00:49
'In a practial sense': in the old version, it worked; in the new one it doesn't.

My conclusion my be off the wall, but my practical observation remains the same.
"Dropping support for 3rd-party full themes" implicitly suggests the team decided to stop supporting them forever. I think (not trying to be rude or a polemic) it was an unfortunate and unnecessary way of expressing your dissatisfaction with themes not having been updated by the theme developers to fit the newest version.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2022-03-19, 13:52

gepus wrote:
2022-03-19, 09:49
JoeyG wrote:
2022-03-19, 00:51
Vague is the polite term. In fact it's BS. :)
Neither is it a "user-facing/implementation change" nor was support for themes dropped.
Since v30.0.0 is a milestone release, themes demanding strict compatibility will have to be modified accordingly.
Just out of interest..who will be performing the modifying.?
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

gepus
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gepus » 2022-03-20, 10:42

Moonraker wrote:
2022-03-19, 13:52
I assume someone involved in the project.
BTW, any above-average user should be able to perform the 'fix' on its own.

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2022-03-20, 12:22

Moonraker wrote:
2022-03-19, 13:52
I've already contacted Lootyhoof via email about this. I'm still waiting for his response, but if he agrees, I'll be the one handling future updates to his themes and extensions.

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2022-03-20, 14:57

FranklinDM wrote:
2022-03-20, 12:22
I'm still waiting for his response
Update about Lootyhoof's themes: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=28016

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by JoeyG » 2022-03-20, 22:51

I was able to solve my problem by updating the install.rdf. It also worked for 30.0.1.

I apologize for my incorrect assumption and apologize to the team for not having tried the simplest possible solution before writing my misguided posting.