Z-index bug with calc()

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Nico3333fr

Z-index bug with calc()

Unread post by Nico3333fr » 2022-01-25, 10:46

Hi there,

I'm Nico, a dev working for ProtonMail.

Some of our users reported an issue in ProtonMail with PaleMoon (Linux), basically some modals are not working because the overlay is on top of modal content (and it should not obviously).
This does not happen on other browsers like Chrome/Firefox/Edge/Safari.

I did try to reproduce with last version on Windows (29.4.4), I was able to reproduce.
After a few tests, I isolated the issue on a simple test case here: https://codesandbox.io/s/pale-moon-z-index-calc-jqbhf

The issue appears when calc is used in z-index property, as you can see .

Is it possible for you to fix this CSS issue in Pale Moon - supporting calc in z-index, so everybody can be happy? :)

If any question, do not hesitate to ask.
Attachments
Bug in ProtonMail with PaleMoon
Bug in ProtonMail with PaleMoon
How the reduced test case is displayed
How the reduced test case is displayed
How the reduced test case should be displayed
How the reduced test case should be displayed

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Z-index bug with calc()

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-01-25, 13:53

Thanks for reaching out, Nico!

Our support for "in-line" calc() in css keywords is limited at the moment and z-index isn't yet supported (since our handling has primarily always been "if you have to calculate something you store the result in a variable"). Adding this support has to be implemented on a keyword by keyword basis with individual implementations depending on accepted units and isn't trivial. I'll make a note of this but I don't know when we'll be able to get to it as we're trying to get more widely impacting web compatibility addressed first.
Can you please use css var() variables for the time being for compatibility?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2022-02-01, 12:36

Has there been any update on this, or are we still in the lurch?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-02-01, 12:38

ron_1 wrote:
2022-02-01, 12:36
Has there been any update on this, or are we still in the lurch?
You know as much as anyone else. The entire communication is in this thread.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2022-02-02, 23:30

Moonchild wrote:
2022-02-01, 12:38
You know as much as anyone else. The entire communication is in this thread.
That's what I was afraid of. :-?