An "exception list" for the current WebComponents support Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Disil07
Moon lover
Moon lover

An "exception list" for the current WebComponents support

Unread post by Disil07 » 2021-12-30, 13:20

As we all knew, Pale Moon WebComponents support hasn't been finished yet (not blaming the devs though). The current implementation worked :crazy: although it isn't that great. If somehow users can manage "select which site WebComponents support will enabled" and which not, it would be great.

A lot of site compatibility issues can be fixed with the config dom.webcomponents.enabled = true. From my experience, 70% of website that did not work before, it magically fixed. It does broke youtube as always.

If somehow there are an options to "create exception lists for webcomponents", user experience would be better. They no longer need to go back and forth between config page to enable/disable that flags.
Debian 12 Bookworm - KDE Plasma 5.27
Intel Celeron N5100 - 4 gigs of RAM - 256 gigs of SSD

I can barely speak english, so bear that in mind when talking to me

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: An "exception list" for the current WebComponents support

Unread post by Night Wing » 2021-12-30, 13:52

If you want to have a list, fine. Then you make the list and maintain it. But if you don't want to maintain said list, then forget about the list.

As for those sites which don't work that well with Pale Moon now, it is much easier to use a different browser than going into "about:config" and always making changes for specific sites that people run across. This is why I use three different browsers.

It seems there are some people who just want Pale Moon to do everything and not use or install another browser on their system. There is no "perfect" browser for the "one browser that does it all" crowd.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2021-12-30, 14:22

Disil07, I think it's a good suggestion to consider. I know the climate here is to discourage all suggestions. But since we have site specific settings already, seems reasonable to try to add one more. That way there is no list to maintain and each user enables it for the sites they want. I haven't experimented with toggling it on so I'll take your word on how much it helps. Maybe it could be done with an extension if someone is interested.

If you want a workaround, install QuickPrefBar and add a button to toggle that setting. I'm still using the original PrefBar but I may have edited the install.rdf file to make it work.
Win10home(1709), PM33.0.0-portable as of Feb 1, '24

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-12-30, 17:33

Michaell wrote:
2021-12-30, 14:22
I know the climate here is to discourage all suggestions.
Depends on the suggestion.
What's particularly discouraged are suggestions that are made to serve someone's personal situation, but are framed as if they benefit everyone (when they relly don't).

Michaell wrote:
If you want a workaround, install QuickPrefBar and add a button to toggle that setting.
Or in the alternative, install Custom Buttons and use a Preference Switcher button from Odyseus' button list.

Or for yet another alternative, bookmark this: about:config?filter=dom.webcomponents.enabled
Clicking the bookmark will take you to the pref, and one can also assign the bookmark a keyword so as to navigate there with keystrokes.

Disil07 wrote:
2021-12-30, 13:20
If somehow there are an options to "create exception lists for webcomponents", user experience would be better. They no longer need to go back and forth between config page to enable/disable that flags.
I get why this would be nice for some people to have. Though I'd personally prefer to see it implemented as an extension if that's possible.

My thoughts, for what they're worth -
Concerning the time involved... here I''m guessing, I'm not a developer, but I suspect it wouldn't just be a light afternoon's work.

I'm guessing it would mean designing a database for the list of domains, and a UI to go with it, and putting in whatever code "plumbing" hooks it up inside the browser. This would all be done for the sake of a pref that is currently half-baked and is known to break some websites. There would (presumably) need to be willingness to give support to people who caused some website breakage via their list. And at some future point, when Web Components is really implemented, the whole shebang may possibly need to be removed.

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2021-12-30, 18:04

Off-topic:
I used to be a big supporter of Custom Buttons. It's just gotten too far out of date. Those function calls that start with nsI... tend to be one of the main things that get deprecated. The original developer is long gone and even the good button authors have mostly left. I used Pref Switcher back then, but I've found for toggling prefs it's hard to beat the simple checkbox design of PrefBar. If we had a good community effort behind it for PM it would be worth continuing but very few seem interested in anything like this. I always thought it would have been great if the best aspects of CB and PB could have been combined.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-12-30, 20:34

Michaell wrote:
2021-12-30, 18:04
Off-topic:
I used to be a big supporter of Custom Buttons.
People should use whatever's available that works best for them, as decided by themselves. We don't all need to use or do the same thing. The thing is to be aware of the options.

I personally wouldn't have much interest in using a WebComponents "exception list" - any method to access the pref more conveniently would give me what I'd want (and I almost never do change it). It seems to me such project would be time/labor intensive and suck time away from more enduring goals. But that's a judgment for the devs to make.

Disil07
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Disil07 » 2021-12-30, 22:36

It seems there are some people who just want Pale Moon to do everything and not use or install another browser on their system. There is no "perfect" browser for the "one browser that does it all" crowd.
I knew it, but I think this is an attempt to make site more compatible, and reducing the amount of threads in Web compatibility board.
Michaell wrote:
If you want a workaround, install QuickPrefBar and add a button to toggle that setting. I'm still using the original PrefBar but I may have edited the install.rdf file to make it work.
I'll take your suggestion, thanks :D
coffeebreak wrote:
2021-12-30, 17:33
I get why this would be nice for some people to have. Though I'd personally prefer to see it implemented as an extension if that's possible.
I would like too, but I don't have the skill to create extension in XUL, any idea?

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2021-12-30, 22:56

Disil07 wrote:
2021-12-30, 22:36
I would like too, but I don't have the skill to create extension in XUL, any idea?
No I don't.

It would be nice if people who do want such a feature could have it as an extension. However I have no idea if it's feasible.
And as said above, I have no interest to use such a feature myself.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-12-30, 23:14

Disil07 wrote:
I think this is an attempt to make site more compatible, and reducing the amount of threads in Web compatibility board.
Well, instead of making everything a lot more complex by building in a whitelist/blacklist that needs maintaining, that time is better spent working on actually making at least CustomElements support as complete as possible. That requires some patience from users. Asking us to take shortcuts to implement a complex workaround for a temporary situation is not really helping the project, so I'd rather not.

I do think that such a thing could, possibly, be created as an extension that enables the incomplete implementation globally and then blocks it on sites that are known to not work with it, maintaining that extensive list... but that would not be an effort any of the core devs should be spending time on instead of trying to work on the underlying enhancements needed overall.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-12-31, 00:37

Disil07 wrote:
Plenty of ideas.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Disil07
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Disil07 » 2021-12-31, 04:25

Moonchild wrote:
2021-12-30, 23:14
Well, instead of making everything a lot more complex by building in a whitelist/blacklist that needs maintaining, that time is better spent working on actually making at least CustomElements support as complete as possible.
Yes I agree that this is not core devs job, but extension devs instead. Sorry for posting in (kinda) wrong board.

Moonbat, thanks for the tutorial. I'll be back with my learning results, if it fails, well... then no more replies on this topic.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-12-31, 05:18

Disil07 wrote:
2021-12-31, 04:25
Moonbat, thanks for the tutorial. I'll be back with my learning results, if it fails, well... then no more replies on this topic.
It's quite easy to follow..once u get the hang of a basic extension, then it's a matter of what u want to make and then looking up the relevant sections on say, how to add buttons and dialogs. Another thing you can do is unpack an extension you use regularly or want to fork (the xpi is just a zip file), and then examine the internal files to correlate with the tutorial descriptions. Install manifests, directory structure etc will be easier to understand when you look at an extension that's already implemented them (don't look at restartless extensions, you'll get confused). Stick to overlay extensions (the kind the tutorial is about, which prompt you to restart the browser after install/update)
Bookmark the XUL reference link as well, you'll be looking at it for how to use individual screen controls (checkboxes, radio buttons etc). You'll need this side by side with the tutorial.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Disil07
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Disil07 » 2021-12-31, 07:14

FranklinDM
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by FranklinDM » 2021-12-31, 08:12

Off-topic:
Disil07 wrote:
2021-12-31, 07:14
Does someone have a file called "xulschoolhello1.xpi" from https://udn.realityripple.com/docs/Archive/Add-ons/Overlay_Extensions/XUL_School/Getting_Started_with_Firefox_Extensions?
The Wayback Machine has it.

Disil07
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Disil07 » 2022-01-06, 14:41

I'll cancel this whole extension idea. After considering that there's just too much work & I'm not gonna able to maintain it after February 2022. :) Instead of this "hacky extension workaround" I think it is the best to leave it as it is, and what for the devs to finish them.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-01-06, 14:53

Thank you for wasting everyone's time! It's appreciated!
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Disil07
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Disil07 » 2022-01-07, 10:25

Moonchild wrote:
2022-01-06, 14:53
Thank you for wasting everyone's time! It's appreciated!
In fact I still have a little hesitation to make them. Although this is definitely wasting everyone time, I think it is 'still' a great idea (just only if someone can make it, because I "suddenly" have no time right now :? )

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2022-01-07, 21:27

I have been running with WebComponents enabled since you started this thread, and have not noticed any problems, or any difference at all on the sites I frequent. I did make a PrefBar button for it but haven't needed to disable the pref yet.