Printer icon missing preview function Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
videobruce
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Printer icon missing preview function

Unread post by videobruce » 2021-12-08, 20:49

I'm aware there is a 'Print Preview' option under 'File' but that is a pain that it isn't available under the far more convenient 'Printer' icon in the address bar. Given the probability that the page won't print properly (most don't) it's really necessary to have this more centralized located instead of kinda burying it in the Menu.
Can that be 'fixed' so clicking on the 'Printer' icon takes one to a preview window instead of the printers page?

Thanks in advance.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Printer icon missing preview function

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-12-08, 23:00

Get busy forking this. caa:addon/print-preview-button-and-ke
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

videobruce
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by videobruce » 2021-12-08, 23:22

That needs to be included with PM as a default option!!!
Thanks. :thumbup:
Last edited by videobruce on 2021-12-08, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-12-08, 23:32

videobruce wrote:
2021-12-08, 23:22
That needs to be included with PM as a default!!!
No, it most definitely does not. For instance, I haven't used a home printer ever, in my more than 25 years of using computers and have zero need for such a feature. The rare occasion I have to print to PDF I don't mind using the File menu entry to preview it. The whole bloody point of extensions is that you pick and choose the extra features that you want, or make them for yourself from scratch. Every user has different needs and priorities, which is why a powerful extension system can cater to everybody to make their browser as unique to themselves as they want. Which is at odds with the values of the fucking idiots who make other browsers these days - zero flexibility, treat the end user like a moron who must be saved from their own bad decisions and just keep adding random features that everyone is forced to use or figure out hacks to disable.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

videobruce
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by videobruce » 2021-12-08, 23:43

I was referring to the default extensions list in that pop up page not necessary to what's in the navigation bar as default..

And as far as printing I print all the time web pages; poorly composed pages that have to be modified so they print properly not wasting extra pages with blank sections on the page or missing portions of the page for whatever reason. IOW's poor written/composed web sites of which there are many.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-12-09, 06:21

The point is that what you consider an essential feature that you regularly use is not necessarily one that others use as well and vice versa, which is why it makes better sense to let these feature requests remain extensions as they are so that only those who need them will install them without it being forced on others.

videobruce
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by videobruce » 2021-12-09, 14:30

I don't have a problem with that, my point is to include that (and some other popular extensions) in that pop up table so one doesn't have to search or ask for it.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-12-09, 23:30

Extensions are not maintained by the browser developers. If you want an extension to target Pale Moon, you'll have to contact the extension's author, or license permitting, fork it yourself as so many have already done.

Falna
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Falna » 2021-12-10, 13:02

moonbat wrote:
2021-12-08, 23:00
Get busy forking this. caa:addon/print-preview-button-and-ke
Or even use the existing fork :)

https://addons.palemoon.org/search/?terms=preview

Forked extensions :
● Add-ons Inspector ● Auto Text Link ● Copy As Plain Text ● Copy Hyperlink Text ● FireFTP button replacement ● gSearch Bar ● Navigation Bar Enhancer ● New Tab Links ● Number Tabs ● Print Preview Button and Keyboard Shortcut 2 ● Scrollbar Search Marker ● Simple Marker ● Tabs To Portfolio ● Update Alert ● Web Developer's Toolbox ● Zap Anything

Hint: If you expect a reply to your PM, allow replies...

videobruce
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by videobruce » 2021-12-10, 13:28

The extension was added and it works fine.
I don't see why anyone would not want that route instead of taking a gamble that any page will print as it should or more likely print as one would want w/o all the carp at either side of the page.
Or dozens of other problems where the page was written poorly as most seem to be, some worse than others.

It's gotten to a point that IF the page prints as it should it's rare. Period. There isn't 2 or maybe 3 days go by that I don't print something off the Internet many times I have to use 3rd party program to do screen shots because the page is so poorly composed. Sometimes it prints a black sheet.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2021-12-10, 14:23

videobruce wrote:
2021-12-10, 13:28
It's gotten to a point that IF the page prints as it should it's rare. Period. There isn't 2 or maybe 3 days go by that I don't print something off the Internet many times I have to use 3rd party program to do screen shots because the page is so poorly composed. Sometimes it prints a black sheet.
Mozilla based browsers had this printing problem since the beginning, it appears. I feel your pain. I've noticed this since I first started with FF years ago, and also today on certain sites.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=521204
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=104040
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=258397

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-12-10, 14:43

Printing web pages has always been problematic regardless of which browser is used for the simple reason that document structure does not equal displayed structure ever since CSS became a thing that can fully determine the layout of pages. This is why "printer friedly pages" has been a thing for over a decade and why sites regularly offer special pages for printing, e.g. invoices and the likes.

If you want an exact printout of what is on your screen then the only way to do that is making a graphical snapshot of it, e.g. using Fireshot. Browser layout engines are simply not suited to make a data-based print of pages since layout is one-way and the resulting displayed view is rendering engine specific containing many layers of overlapping elements and surfaces to construct what is displayed. That is not printable except after collapsing to a single graphical presentation.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

videobruce
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by videobruce » 2021-12-10, 16:37

I got blasted for even asking for the print preview function, now you just gave numerous reasons why there is a need for one which was exactly what I was getting at. FF has the "Simplify Page" option that seems to be missing here which makes a huge difference sometimes also. :thumbup:

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2021-12-10, 17:24

Print preview is there, in the file menu (where in my opinion it belongs, I have no "printer icon", if I had one I removed it, and anyhow I have all text buttons, no icons ! :silent: ). It is useful specially if you set up some funny customization and forgot to reset it back as it once happened to me :mrgreen:
The reasons why print may not look as the screen has been explained, you got what the page creator instructed CSS to show on display or on print (if the creator ever bothered to make a distinction). For some items (e.g maps) it may be better to grab part of the window and print that (e.g. with xv).
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-12-10, 17:47

videobruce wrote:
2021-12-10, 16:37
I got blasted
butthurt report.jpg
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-12-11, 05:54

The behavior of the Print toolbar button hasn't changed since at LEAST Firefox 2.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-12-11, 22:16

videobruce wrote:
I got blasted for even asking for the print preview function
You got 'blasted' for asking something to be made part of the browser core that was already served by an extension simply because it was important to your workflow.

bgstack15
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by bgstack15 » 2021-12-12, 16:50

moonbat wrote:
2021-12-11, 22:16
videobruce wrote:
I got blasted for even asking for the print preview function
You got 'blasted' for asking something to be made part of the browser core that was already served by an extension simply because it was important to your workflow.
What was he supposed to do, ask for something that benefits your workflow? How would he know what your workflow involves? He asked for something that would be useful to him, because he knows what he uses. If for some reason his request is invalid or unsuitable for the target users, then tell him. He'll learn, and he'll do better next time! Don't have a forum if you can't handle a reasonable request, even if the answer is no.

Personally, I avoid printing directly from the browser. WYSIWYG and all that, doesn't translate too well to printers in my experience. It's not really the browser's fault though; bad (or ignorant) web design does that.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-12-12, 17:56

Off-topic:
bgstack15 wrote:
2021-12-12, 16:50
Don't have a forum if you can't handle a reasonable request, even if the answer is no.
So why are you reflecting this upon me, now? I'm the one who decided to run the forum, after all.
The request was reasonable, the answer was no, but then we were told we were "blasting" the OP because we didn't want to consider the request, in so many words (no matter if the complaint was clad in "poor web design makes a preview more necessary than it used to be").

So don't reflect this upon the fact of running a forum or not. That's just taking things way out of proportion and to be frank rather petty.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-12-12, 20:50

Off-topic:
Well what do you expect? He forum-foe'd me for NO REASON without ANY NEGATIVE prior interaction and then bitched that he couldn't block me anymore because I was a moderator on a sub-board. Which explains why he apparently ignored me explaining something technical that he was too retarded to figure out on his own. He also committed to providing a package for Fedora and randomly stopped long ago with no indication why. Basically he is NOT a friend to this project.

If I had my way he would be banned at the first sign of duplicity. You can't reason with users like him or the OP.