Webcam

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Mark_Lee

Webcam

Unread post by Mark_Lee » 2021-11-04, 00:06

Recently, because of medical reasons, I sought to access a ZOOM session. I have an internal webcam which I do not normally use and setting up a webcam test I was greeted with this response "Your browser does not support features for accessing media devices. Please upgrade your browser or install another one." The webcam test does function properly on another browser. The version I have is 29.4.1 on a Windows 8.1 Operating system. Are there plans to add webcam functionality to Pale Moon, or is there some setting that I need to make on the current version? Thanks.

Mark Lee

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Webcam

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-11-04, 00:37

If I remember correctly, webcam support is not provided at all with Pale Moon by design.
Maybe you can try with Basilisk.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-11-04, 00:38

No there are none. All video/audio calling tools rely on WebRTC which Pale Moon does not support or plan to.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-11-04, 01:05

I wouldn't rely on Basilisk for WebRTC features.. None of the major mainstream providers discriminating against it despite being fully complaint according to Google's own test suite.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-11-04, 02:11

Best to use a dedicated client, more so if it's a frequently used service. The dedicated client itself is just a Chrome wrapper around the original website anyway.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2021-11-06, 00:07

Agree using the Zoom client app is a better idea than trying to Zoom with a browser.
The dedicated client is just a Chrome wrapper around the website
Sigh, yeah, makes sense, too bad it's a single-purposed Chrome trojaned everywhere and not an actual client.

I had thought there were plugins for attending meetings? Guess not, because the only such I found were named "Scheduler". It could not be tested in Firefox because of the user-hostile login anti-feature. Username+Password+Captcha are not in a dialog box, not on an HTML form, and they disappear when the browser loses focus. That means the login can't be used with password vaults that switch focus from themselves back to the target browser window. Still need to start using tele-services that have actual privacy.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-11-06, 09:50

Bilbo47 wrote:
2021-11-06, 00:07
I had thought there were plugins for attending meetings?
Yeah, in the good old days when NPAPI plugins weren't deprecated. That was the original and proper approach to rendering any sort of proprietary content, whether DRMed or supporting non open codecs like Quicktime or RealPlayer, and eventually just Flash. The same thing was used for Skype and Webex initially, until DRM got pushed into the HTML standard.