How to build PM under Linux?

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: How to build PM under Linux?

Unread post by Blacklab » 2013-07-24, 13:30

Night Wing wrote:Linux Mint 13 (Maya) XFCE was a little harder for me to work with when it came to installing the proprietary drivers for the said devices above. Even though Linux Mint 13 is an LTS release, the proprietary driver issue (for me) was the reason I went with Linux Mint 14 XFCE.
Must have had the Linux version of "beginners luck" - Mint 13 (Maya) MATE install included all the drivers needed for this Acer Netbook and every UI/function/device tried has worked "out-of-the-box" - very painless. The only drama during installation was with the touchpad - cursor moved normally just no "tap to click" - took a while to realise problem - but a very easy "box tick" fix once installation complete. Otherwise, so far, so good - successfully customised Firefox 22 using my favourite CSS scripts in both Stylish and ChromEdit Plus Add-ons (although needed Movable Firefox Button 1.4 Add-on to shift Mint's odd modification/re-location of the main Firefox Menu button). Now to install Wine and try the same with Pale Moon 20.

I intend to trial some of the other Mint flavours/versions/editions and the various desktop options as live USB/CD, dual boot or VM installs on a more powerful machine idc. Always have one eye on the end of support for Windows XP next April and thus what to do with old, low spec, but otherwise fully working XP machines? Suppose I must look at Windows 8 too - at least with recent 8.1 release MS seems to be making some concessions towards the ordinary desktop users needs, reintroducing a sort of Start Menu, etc. :)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2013-07-24, 14:27

Blacklab,

My longshot hope is that somebody will eventually make a 64-bit linux version of Pale Moon so I can get away from the Firefox 64-bit versions in linux now. In my opinion, a 64-bit linux version of Pale Moon would be the "cat's meow". :thumbup: I prefer the direction Pale Moon is going and I dislike the direction Firefox is going in it's copying of everything in Google Chrome. I hear the new Opera looks like Google Chrome and longtime Opera users hate the Chrome look of the new Opera. I'm so glad Pale Moon is not following suit.

A little off topic, but when Firefox 25 (Australis) comes out, since I'm running Linux Mint, I plan on uninstalling (purge) the linux version of Firefox 23 and then go straight to the Mozilla site and download and install the 64-bit linux version of Firefox 24ESR. This way, for 54 weeks, I can avoid the Google Chrome like Australis look which I don't care for. The ESR versions for linux are usually kept at the link below which right now, has the 17.0.6ESR version there. There are no ESR versions of Firefox in the Ubuntu repositories which Mint uses. :(

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... ux-x86_64/

I'll open and install this 24ESR version using the GDebi Package Installer.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-07-24, 15:06

Is Mozilla still building 64-bit packages? I thought they had stopped supporting 64-bit builds -- unless that was for Windows builds only.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2013-07-24, 15:10

They relented and continued 64 bit with the Nightly releases.

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... a-central/

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2013-07-24, 15:12

Moonchild wrote:Is Mozilla still building 64-bit packages? I thought they had stopped supporting 64-bit builds -- unless that was for Windows builds only.
Too many complaints, so they fell back.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-07-24, 15:22

Rohugh wrote:They relented and continued 64 bit with the Nightly releases.

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/ ... a-central/
Hah, so "64-bit with all the untested stuff we can think of" ;-)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2013-07-24, 15:36

I could be wrong on this, but I think the 64-bit builds of Firefox for Windows is not the same build which are the 64-bit Firefox builds for Linux. In 64-bit Linux Mint which I use, the Firefox builds for 64-bit Linux Mint have been (I think) "tweaked" by the Mint developers if you get my drift.

Since my two desktop computers are originally Windows 7, 64-bit computers, I went with 64-bit Linux Mint. But, I run 32-bit Windows Pale Moon in 64-bit Windows 7 and this is why I installed 32-bit Windows Pale Moon under Wine in 64-bit Linux Mint when I put a second hard drive in both desktops.

In other words, I went with what I already knew in Windows since I wasn't sure whether to install the 32-bit or the 64-bit Windows Pale Moon in 64-bit Linux Mint. I figured since Wine is a Windows compatibility layer, I wouldn't have any plug in issues with the 32-bit version of Pale Moon running under Wine for linux.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox