VS2013 preview released

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
dudewithit

VS2013 preview released

Unread post by dudewithit » 2013-07-04, 15:30

Microsoft have released the VS2013 preview version.

Do you see any reason to switch to VS2013 in future ? Are there any performance improvements in VS2013, that will make moz code faster ?

Ryrynz

Re: VS2013 preview released

Unread post by Ryrynz » 2013-09-15, 08:50

MC any news here? I've seen MSVC 2013 offer at the very least a performance improvement in the start up of the media player MPC-BE.
The difference is slight on my Vertex 4 but apparently for those still on HDDs improvement is more pronounced. I wonder if this speed improvement
could be across the board?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-09-15, 09:24

It doesn't look like VS2013 preview supports building the Pale Moon source properly. I've poked at it briefly, and it didn't end well.

I may look into it when VS2013 is closer to release, but it seems the update is more geared towards the Windows 8 UI way of working than actually providing improvements in regular C++ -- on top, VS2012 does a really good job, and I don't have another $600 to blow for a trivial upgrade ;)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Ryrynz

Unread post by Ryrynz » 2013-09-15, 09:33

Yeah I read there had to be some minor changes to the assembler in MPC-BE for it to compile properly. probably would pay to shelve compatibility until Mozilla's decide to make it compatible.
$600 aye, I wondered what it was going to cost, no upgrade discount? If so that's a bit rough.

Hannibal living

Unread post by Hannibal living » 2013-09-17, 12:41

Moonchild, I hope I do not annoy you with questions similiar to this, but I think it's worth the possible trouble:
Would the 'Yeppp!' library be an improvement to Pale Moon?
http://www.yeppp.org/

Because it seems that it runs very well on both AMD and Intel processors - even better than the manufacturers'.
http://www.yeppp.org/home/yeppp-performance-numbers
http://www.yeppp.org/home/new-functions ... evaluation

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-09-17, 13:20

And how, exactly, do you figure that polynomial calculations are used in a web browser? XD
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Hannibal living

Unread post by Hannibal living » 2013-09-18, 20:21

I did not recognize it as only vector-based mathematics. I thought there would be more librariy components.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-09-18, 20:51

Nope, as far as I can see it supports a few core math operations and otherwise vector/polynomial functions. I don't see that being in any way beneficial to Pale Moon. Still, thanks for the suggestion.