Building a Browser

General discussion and chat (archived)
keeganxvx

Building a Browser

Unread post by keeganxvx » 2013-07-03, 01:32

I'm interested in developing a Firefox based browser, like Pale Moon, Cometbird, Iceweasel, etc, though I'm not sure how to get started.
Are most of these Firefox builds just modifications of the Firefox source code or does Mozilla offer tools for web browser developers.
Is it done in something as simple as Visual Basic or does it require more hardcore C++ programming?

lyceus

Re: Building a Browser

Unread post by lyceus » 2013-07-04, 00:54

keeganxvx wrote:I'm interested in developing a Firefox based browser, like Pale Moon, Cometbird, Iceweasel, etc, though I'm not sure how to get started.
Are most of these Firefox builds just modifications of the Firefox source code or does Mozilla offer tools for web browser developers.
Is it done in something as simple as Visual Basic or does it require more hardcore C++ programming?
Actually VisualBasic uses dlls (dynamic libraries) that limit the language of what is pre-coded in these libraries, so why there are some versions that do stuff in basis of how many libraries do you buy. Oh you can expand VB, it too but that cost money and is slow. C++ lets you expand the language and use all the power of the CPU. Maybe you need to get the source code of Firefox and try to compile it, for that you need to download and install the same tools and environment apps needed to compile it. Until you can compile Firefox from source without error then you can think what to change on the code for suit for your needs.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Building a Browser

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-07-04, 06:49

The Mozilla code is built up of mostly C++, Javascript and XUL (XML), but also good chunks of python, and a few other languages. I also hope you're not afraid to use the *nix command-line, because Mozilla code is built by definition from a unix-like shell.

Despite that, if you go to the MDN (Mozilla Developer Network) and look up the Build Documentation there, that would be a good way to start understanding the build process, and even allowing you to make a private build of Firefox in a relatively short time.

EDIT: Moving this to technical chat, as it's got nothing to do with Pale Moon development.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite