Restoring Tabs

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Zanshin

Restoring Tabs

Unread post by Zanshin » 2021-07-06, 01:26

I am a long time user of Pale Moon, and have been grateful to have been introduced to it when Firefox was fading away and Chrome was attempting to copy the look of Internet Explorer.

My request is that whenever Pale Moon doesn't shut down properly (often it appears shut down properly) it automatically reloads all the tabs I previously had open. Often, it crashes because I have too many tabs open, so reopening every tab is going to cause the same problem to happen again.

Sometimes, Pale Moon asks me which tabs (or all of them) I wish to reopen, but more often it just reopens all my tabs, which then have to all reload, which is a behavior I don't care for.

Please considering making a request to which tab reopen the default behavior after a crash or hard shut down.

Thank you for your time

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Restoring Tabs

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-06, 02:43

You should rethink you browser use if you have so many tabs open that it crashes the browser or causes such long shutdowns that it terminates on the watchdog timer...

As for always offering the crash restore window... try going to about:config and setting browser.sessionstore.resume_from_crash to false
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2021-07-06, 15:33

Check that you have the setting, Tools | Preferences | Tabs -> Don't load tabs until selected, enabled.
That should help, some, when loading windows from Session Restore, in that only the current tab in each window will load fully.
Likewise, having an ad blocker enabled would also probably help.

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2021-07-06, 16:03

Of course, Pale Moon Commander gives you a whole bunch of fun session preferences in a GUI interface, if you don't want to mess with about:config.