Marquee in palemon - reactivation on own danger

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
mac_pm

Marquee in palemon - reactivation on own danger

Unread post by mac_pm » 2021-06-22, 15:10

Hello,

I hope that I have palced this post is in the right category.

I am using Palemoon since 4 years now because Firefox at last wasn't useable any more because of
multiple enervating changes which were patronizing in my opinion, here for example the deactivation of plugins.
The enervating ones were the multiple changes in optics and not to forget changes from normal add-ons to webextensions.
In each new version of Firefox there was the problem, that plugins weren't working anymore and their developers had to fix
them and gave up the work at last. Many plugins had been "destroyed" through this course.

Out of this I switched to Palemoon.
Now I have noticed, that the <marquee> functionality has been deactivated.
This is interesting, because in the current version of the most other browsers, even in the smartphone ones
the marquee is working!

And marquees are still used because they can be included in a website way more easier then the javascript ones.

Is there the possibility that you, the developers, reenable the marquee functionality?
Or is there the possibility that the user can reenable it on own danger?

I hope that the Palemoon crew will not make the same mistakes like the Firefox crew, it would be very sad.

Sincerely yours

mac_pm

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Marquee in palemon - reactivation on own danger

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-06-22, 16:11

<marquee> has always been a non-standard element and subject to individual implementations. Because it was the only autonomously animated element, and as a result would be subject to special code complexity and security vulnerabilities for being basically outside of the normal layout and rendering routines, and being non-standard, we've removed it. It's not just "disabled", it is gone.

As for the inclusion in web pages, they are hardly in use, adding another reason to not maintain it.
Alternatives don't necessarily need JavaScript either; you can do a lot more (and a lot more pretty) with CSS!

See also https://stackoverflow.com/a/31951750/2091005
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-22, 16:28

Extensions are NOT Plugins.. See: http://developer.palemoon.org/addons/

seadragon
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by seadragon » 2021-06-22, 18:29

I believe you can easily write a JavaScript polyfill for <marquee> if you really need that...

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-22, 20:10

It would be very involved to write a polyfill for an html tag but there is a very simple css animation that emulates it perfectly. Just do an internet search.