Mega.nz download problem

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Robin_WH
Moonbather
Moonbather

Mega.nz download problem

Unread post by Robin_WH » 2021-03-28, 03:18

Hello, recently I became aware of unusual sort of problem.
The cloud storage Mega.nz don´t allows me to download data through browser anymore and tells me that: "Unfortunately, Palemoon has an insufficient buffer to decrypt data in the browser, please install the MEGA desktop app to download large files (or use Chrome)."
Do I really have no other choice?

For example try this link: https://mega.nz/file/UAB2BbxZ#lgfxqRS11 ... s-ALPCm4Eg
Palemoon displays said message, while FF86 downloads the file just fine

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Mega.nz download problem

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-03-28, 05:05

Got the same message.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2021-03-28, 10:36

If I remember correctly, it happens when the file to download is larger than an arbitrary size.
Haven't checked myself, but you might try to download a smaller file and see if it works.

micwoj92
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by micwoj92 » 2021-03-29, 10:28

Try changing user agent. With Pale Moon got same message, but on Basilisk I only got "Downloading ZIP files larger than 2GB might require an additional unpacker tool (such as "7zip"). Unfortunately, ZIP64 is not natively supported by all operating systems." and the download STARTED fine, I didn't have time to finish downloading, but it could work.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-03-29, 15:13

It is some boneheaded design decision it actually abuses the hell out of web storage to download the entire file into something designed to be an alternative to cookies to store a limited amount of data then once streamed into that it emulates a standard download client side once it is stored then it is deleted from web storage once the download is complete.

I don't understand the logic behind why they do this but the feature nor the client was designed to store the crazy amount of binary data this way. This way it is entirely dependant on system specs like available ram and webstorage not only being enabled but also feature and storage limits AND system resouces being exactly like Chrome at all times.

This is also why the 2gb limit because Windows 32bit.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-03-30, 10:52

It's just the modern insanity of torturing a web browser into being everything and the kitchen sink instead of a dedicated application. They could just direct people to install their desktop client for decryption, but no.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Robin_WH
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Robin_WH » 2021-04-08, 00:47

Is it really insane want to download files through the browser? I think there was a service called "File Transfer Protocol" which browsers used... Downloading files is a basic function any browser should have.
The problem exists, and exist only in PM as far as I know. So please, repair, what is broken instead of moaning about insanity of the world.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-04-08, 00:58

Robin_WH wrote:
2021-04-08, 00:47
Is it really insane want to download files through the browser?
What's insane is expecting to decrypt humongous files within the browser so that they can be downloaded. That's not what a browser is designed for, and mega.nz isn't a straightforward file downloading site like the rest.
Robin_WH wrote:
2021-04-08, 00:47
I think there was a service called "File Transfer Protocol" which browsers used
It's a standard internet protocol similar to HTTP, and would require a server to offer it for the browser to use. Chrome has stopped supporting it because Google decreed it 'obsolete'.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-04-08, 03:01

Off-topic:
moonbat wrote:
2021-04-08, 00:58
Chrome has stopped supporting it because Google decreed it 'obsolete'.
Google decreed it "obsolete" because they can't monetize FTP.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2021-04-08, 04:29

I think it has nothing to do with "Pale Moon buffer", it's just a lie to force you to use chrome. Just 2-3 months ago I downloaded videoclips from here https://mega.nz/folder/eEoDEKYB#IBatxDL-cyeEuRNB3Ddd3A
and there was no problem. Now I got the same message like you.
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-04-08, 05:08

badnick wrote:
2021-04-08, 04:29
Just 2-3 months ago I downloaded videoclips from here
The problem is with files over a couple of gigs. I've been using Mega to access custom ROMs for my phone, developers often host them here, and typically files around 900 950 MB downloaded just fine.

Robin_WH
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by Robin_WH » 2021-07-09, 11:54

Is it really such big problem to support bigger files decryption? FF nor Chrome does not find troublesome.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-07-09, 12:34

Then use them. Just because their philosophy is to throw everything and the kitchen sink into the browser doesn't mean Pale Moon has to ape them. File decryption is not what a web browser is designed for.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-09, 13:50

The problem is not the browser's design.
The problem is mega.nz's design.

Instead of using industry-standard TLS encryption in-transport, they insist on sending browsers files as monolithic blobs of mangled data that the browser then has to reassemble/unmangle. This effectively requires the browser to store the entire file data internally (likely in memory) to the size of the file in question (+ overhead). Pale Moon imposes some (rather lenient!) limits on how many resources JS objects can use and if that isn't satisfying how much they want for their temporary data-holding, then it will fail.
This is entirely a design decision on their end and I refuse to change the very sane limits of data storage to cater to a backwards file transfer system like theirs.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2021-07-09, 15:01

They have a downloader application anyway, I run it when I have to download a large file from there. The site neatly hands over the download to the app and you can continue using the browser without this decryption affecting performance.

Mike_Walsh
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by Mike_Walsh » 2021-07-11, 11:34

I have to agree with most comments here.

I've recently opened a MEGA.nz a/c myself (my Google Drive and MediaFire a/cs were getting rather full, and it's all stuff for the Puppy Linux community, which I'm not going to delete.)

Biggest files I've so far worked with were a couple of FPS games in AppImage format.....somewhere around 1-1.2 GB, as I recall. MEGA & browser worked well together, though most of the time I simply copy stuff over to the desktop client & MEGA quietly & unobtrusively syncs it in the background via wget/FTP while I'm doing whatever.

It's much the easiest way of uploading files for me. (I don't need to d/l anything, because the files are always in the local storage directory, so immediately accessible.....and with several TB of local storage, it's simply not an issue.)

Mike. ;)
Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-07-11, 15:01

Uploading to mega.nz might not be a problem as it won't use that custom system they went for.
Using mega.nz for puppy stuff might be a problem for people downloading it if they use Pale Moon, though.

KlarkKentThe3rd
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by KlarkKentThe3rd » 2021-07-13, 06:28

I always use the Mega desktop app for large files, don't see a problem with that.