Pale Moon on Tribblix (illumos)

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
ptribble
Moongazer
Moongazer

Pale Moon on Tribblix (illumos)

Unread post by ptribble » 2021-03-14, 12:44

I'm the creator and maintainer of an illumos distribution called Tribblix.

I'm very impressed with Pale Moon. It just works. No patches, no messing around, no need for obscure configurations, builds straight off without issues.

(Other than a 15GB ld process when linking libxul, but I digress.)

Anyway, the mozconfig I'm using is

https://github.com/tribblix/build/blob/ ... .mozconfig

which is copied directly from

http://developer.palemoon.org/build/sunos/

with the following two extra lines:

ac_add_options --disable-gconf
ac_add_options --disable-pulseaudio

because, and only because, Tribblix does not have those.

Other than that the build environment is pretty standard. Gcc7, GTK3, 64-bit x86, nothing unusual.

I would like to confirm that official branding is OK in this case. (And, if not, what changes I need to make to bring it into line. One thing I would say is that my philosophy is to ship software exactly as the author intended.)

And thanks for a great product!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon on Tribblix (illumos)

Unread post by Moonchild » 2021-03-14, 12:57

Thanks for checking with us! This is the way to do it people. Pay attention.

The build configuration looks fine to me for official branding. If you don't do anything else to the browser configuration then it's all good.
Your needed additions are just there to come to a positive build on the target O.S. so you are in full compliance with the exemption requirements outlined in the redistribution license.

P.S.: you may thank Athenian200 for the painless building you experienced on Illumos ;-)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-03-14, 14:39

I am likewise impressed. Congrats!

Additionally, you can exclude the MOZ_PKG_SPECIAL and dependent local var if you are going to system package this. We only need that kind of distinction for the more generic builds accessing our Automatic Update Service. If this is gonna be package system controlled you don't need the extra identification between flavors of SunOS.

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2021-03-14, 15:33

I'm really happy that you're interested in Pale Moon. So far I had a lot of trouble getting people interested. Tribblix is one of the most interesting illumos distros I've seen so far, actually. It's more geared to advanced users, and personally I think that's really cool in this day and age.

I was actually worried about the implications of disabling GConf at first, but it turns out that GTK3 doesn't really require it anyway, so it should be okay. Yeah, you need a ton of RAM to build this. Building it with only 8GB of RAM really sucks. I can get by because my main machine has 32GB of RAM on an old Ivy Bridge processor. If the system has less than 16GB or so, it will take a long time to build and require a swap partition that's at least 16GB (which is painful especially if you have a mechanical hard drive).

I hope that Tribblix and illumos in general have a bright future, and I really look forward to trying to finally make this work meaningful. This kind of gives me more motivation to keep going... to be honest, the lack of interest from people was beginning to demoralize me.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

ptribble
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by ptribble » 2021-04-28, 09:09

And I've just built 29.2.0 on Tribblix. Glad to report that the build continues to "just work".

(For anyone having an old .mozconfig, removing --enable-phoenix-extensions if you have it is esential. The build notes at http://developer.palemoon.org/build/sunos/ appear to have been updated, which is excellent.)

Thanks again for such an excellent product!

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-04-28, 09:21

Good to hear and really you deserve the thanks for doing a great job on providing your users with a quality built package and for supporting us. Which is rare as gold.