New FreeBSD port

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
drjohnnyfever

Re: New FreeBSD port

Unread post by drjohnnyfever » 2021-03-08, 14:36

OlCe1 wrote:
2021-03-08, 09:49
Some news:
1. 29.1.0 builds and works fine with GCC 10 on FreeBSD 12.2. I'm keeping the port updated in my own repositories.
I'm using a ports tree based on ports/master and your WIP port successfully on FreeBSD 13.0-RC1 built with GCC9 if that is useful information for you.

OlCe1

Unread post by OlCe1 » 2021-03-09, 10:52

drjohnnyfever wrote:
2021-03-08, 14:36
I'm using a ports tree based on ports/master and your WIP port successfully on FreeBSD 13.0-RC1 built with GCC9 if that is useful information for you.
Yes, it is.

I've re-opened FreeBSD PR 251117, with an updated port (PM 29.1.0 built with GCC 10). Please post news of builds and tests there, as explained in the new comment.

EDIT: Added the link.

SlySven
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by SlySven » 2021-05-31, 20:14

Aaaargh! :wtf:

@OlCe1 - I've just updated my ports tree and forgot that that will blow away the PaleMoon 29.0.1 port that only existed for a short time upstream on the FreeBSD servers.

Is there a way to get it - or anything later you might have - back into /usr/ports/www/palemoon?

OlCe1

Unread post by OlCe1 » 2021-06-01, 09:11

SlySven wrote:
2021-05-31, 20:14
Is there a way to get it - or anything later you might have - back into /usr/ports/www/palemoon?
Yes, I post all updates to PR 251117 in the form of a patch to apply to the ports tree.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-01, 09:29

I've noticed how passive aggressive they still are. As opposed to fully aggressive like OpenBSD.

May I remind everyone that there wasn't a huge issue with FreeBSD at the time of the OpenBSD issue. Everything relating to FreeBSD is public record and somewhere between neutral and positive-ish and it was only months down the road did they silently remove their bsd port of Pale Moon when no one was seemingly paying attention.

I will say this.. If they do it again there is a very good chance that ALL BSD will go the way of Macintosh. I am pretty sure we collectively won't put up with more terrorism from BSD-land even though your personal efforts have been rather outstanding.

OlCe1

Unread post by OlCe1 » 2021-06-01, 10:16

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2021-06-01, 09:29
Everything relating to FreeBSD is public record and somewhere between neutral and positive-ish and it was only months down the road did they silently remove their bsd port of Pale Moon when no one was seemingly paying attention.
The silent removal was not aimed at Pale-Moon but was due to the fact the port was using Tauthon. Ports management (or, more precisely, some folks there) considered this was a violation of the Python 2.7's deprecation "policy", which never really existed until end of March. The particular handling of the issue was brutal, and caused dissent (not everyone was OK with what happened, to say the least).

Now, notwithstanding the Python 2.7 issue, which may be resolved in one way or the other, the ports management team, who has now realized (!) about the Pale-Moon inclusion attempt, wants some clarifications on the licensing. I provided what I could. What's missing is a few questions that I've not yet prepared (lack of time) but I'll be doing that this week. I'll send them to Moonchild to clarify certain points and hopefully convince ports management to accept the port with official branding. If this doesn't work, unofficial branding might do it, we'll see.

In every community, there are always puppets and morons who, for whatever reason, will bash new things, or insult others, or spread FUD, or whatever bullshit. But accounting this on the whole community is unfair, and in the end amounts to yielding to this malevolent minority. It's not in the interest of FreeBSD (my opinion, I'm not a FreeBSD project representative), and I don't think it's in Pale Moon interest either. But, as always, this will be your (Pale Moon) call for your part.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2021-06-01, 11:59

This was a few years ago dude.