Gitea repo setup

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Gitea repo setup

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-19, 09:56

I've set up a gitea instance and cloned/mirrored a few repositories as a field test of the foundry software.
So far, so good. It seems migration works well but I got a notice from GitHub when cloning/mirroring that they are going to change their API no longer allowing username/password logins for it, which makes us have to work on a pretty tight time constraint here (they will have a brownout later this month and a full discontinuation early November) -- since it doesn't look like gitea is supporting key authentication for the GitHub API, we'll have to make our final move before it's shut down.

Anyway, https://repo.palemoon.org/ is the instance. Feedback appreciated.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Re: Gitea repo setup

Unread post by athenian200 » 2020-10-19, 15:37

I'm impressed that you have my forum avatar associated with my username already. That's really cool! Is there a way I could log in to that account using my forum credentials or would I need to register?

I notice we don't have the issue or PR history with the new repo, though. Has that just not been imported yet, or is that one of the sacrifices we might have to make for the move? I could certainly adapt to the loss of that data, though I'm sure it would be an inconvenience for developers.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-19, 17:59

Please note that it's currently a field test and the repos are set up as mirrors which necessarily don't have the issues or PRs along with them.
When I'm confident about the setup, I'll be moving the GitHub repos across permanently and re-import the repos with their entire history, issues and similar meta data -- it would be useful for all major contributors to have their account set up before I do that to make as much automatic author linking as possible happen during import.

As for the avatar: it's set up to use federated avatars so yes, things will be automatically imported that way. No, it is not in any way linked to a forum account and no, I don't know of any easy way to make a single sign-on situation work between Gitea and phpBB.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2020-10-20, 07:32

Moonchild wrote:
2020-10-19, 17:59
it would be useful for all major contributors to have their account set up before I do that to make as much automatic author linking as possible happen during import.
Does it mean we should start registering ourselves with the same email as on GitHub? Can username be different?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-20, 08:18

adesh wrote:
2020-10-20, 07:32
Does it mean we should start registering ourselves with the same email as on GitHub? Can username be different?
Exactly that you can also associate multiple mail addresses with one account. And yes user name can be different

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2020-10-22, 05:37

Moonchild wrote:
2020-10-20, 08:18
Exactly that you can also associate multiple mail addresses with one account. And yes user name can be different
My commits aren't linked. I used the same email as on GitHub but used the forum name as my username.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-22, 09:53

Good news is I have done some ad-hoc override customization so the commit list for a repository is not an unmitigated disaster of poor design. Now it is more than reasonably github-like layout wise.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-22, 10:00

adesh wrote:
2020-10-22, 05:37
My commits aren't linked. I used the same email as on GitHub but used the forum name as my username.
I thought it would but maybe I misunderstood.
Either way there's no real way to do this after the fact. I wish I'd had more time but GitHub is sabotaging 3rd-party migrations end of this month/start of the next by removing password auth for the API that's needed for migration so there was no time.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2020-10-22, 13:53

Moonchild wrote:
2020-10-19, 09:56
I got a notice from GitHub when cloning/mirroring that they are going to change their API no longer allowing username/password logins for it, which makes us have to work on a pretty tight time constraint here
I set up 2FA authentication on my GH account a while back using TOTP. You don't need a phone number or even a mobile phone for this, since there are plenty of TOTP authenticator desktop apps out there. (TOTP is also much more secure than SMS-based 2FA.) My memory's a bit fuzzy, but once you do this they should give you a token to use with their API instead of your regular password.

Edit: You have to generate the token under Settings > Developer Settings > Personal Access Tokens.

Perhaps that would give you more flexibility in your schedule?
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-22, 14:51

adesh wrote:
2020-10-22, 05:37
Moonchild wrote:
2020-10-20, 08:18
According to the raw patch files the email address you used for the bulk if not all of your commits is <adeshkp@users.noreply.github.com> so that seems to be why your commits aren't linking. Guess it is because you made your email private on github.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-22, 16:24

Isengrim wrote:
2020-10-22, 13:53
I set up 2FA authentication on my GH account
You missed my point. Token auth isn't supported by Gitea.

And no, there's no flexibility in the schedule. Everything has been moved across now and GitHub has a good chunk additional free disk space.
It's all done.
The only stuff that's still there is a mirror of UXP, an old Tycho repo for past reference (that's a bit too big to have take up space on the gitea server, containing all the old Mozilla Gecko history) and a few misc forked libs. The rest is gone. Poof.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2020-10-22, 16:52

Moonchild wrote:
2020-10-22, 16:24
You missed my point. Token auth isn't supported by Gitea.
Ah, I misunderstood the migration process. Nevermind then.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2020-10-23, 04:55

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2020-10-22, 14:51
Guess it is because you made your email private on github.
That should be it. Anyway it's fine. I'm not too attached to it.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2020-10-24, 11:06

Do you have any plans to enable email notifications? I'm a little worried about missing something that might require an immediate response.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-24, 14:58

e-mail notifications should be enabled by default. I don't think gitea sends notifications on every action, though, but at the very least @mentions should always send an e-mail.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-24, 18:12

I hate email spamifications, glad I can turn them off. I merely check the notifications page regularly.

RealityRipple
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by RealityRipple » 2020-10-24, 21:22

Changing the MCP directory to MoonchildProductions broke the Arch Linux AUR install process. Can we get a 307 for backward compatibility, please?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-24, 22:46

No. Also, we had to change the org back to MoonchildProductions cause having it as MCP busted all cross-repo commit message linking. AUR will have to just actually stay on top of things. Given this forge is only what.. a week old.. doesn't really justify fixing external references to links.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-25, 03:45

What he said. If AUR made the change for setting this up, they can make another change to follow the org rename.
or in other words:

Pardon the dust, we're still settling in.

(and FTR this was also clearly stated in the announcement -- last sentence).

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-10-31, 15:54

I'm not really sure where to report this issue, so I'm writing here hoping for the best.
When I write "repo.palemoon.org" (exactly that string, minus quotes) in the address bar, I'm shown the generic nginx page telling me nginx is working fine.
However, if I write "https://repo.palemoon.org", I get the actual repo.
Is it intentional or just a bug? I know that palemoon.org in general can be viewed with plain HTTP, but since the repo is available only through HTTPS I'd like to be redirected to the actual site if I write the site name without specifying the "https://" part of the URL.