custom error (about:...) pages

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
a930c9fd

custom error (about:...) pages

Unread post by a930c9fd » 2020-10-15, 23:44

hi, i'm new to Palemoon and XUL extension development, i'm familiar with JS and modified some addons already.
I'm wondering, is it possible to overlay for example the "server not found" error page (not a site's own 404 page, but the browser's embedded one) ?
i like to add useful links to it. eg. lookup on web archive, traceroute/ping, check ssl scores, etc...

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: custom error (about:...) pages

Unread post by Isengrim » 2020-10-16, 03:07

The two pages you're probably interested in are about:neterror and about:certerror. Both of these are XHTML, not XUL, so you won't be able to overlay them like you do in XUL. Your add-on will probably have to run some JavaScript to inject content into these pages. Might be doable, but I suspect it'll be a bit tricky.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2020-10-16, 04:31

There's already Fierr which provides an enhanced error page, take a look at it first.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

letmeindude

Unread post by letmeindude » 2020-10-16, 09:56

You can fork ErrorZilla Plus.
This extension is a replacement of Firefox official error page, which adds some useful tools to aid your troubleshooting.

The tools include:
- Google Cache (view the page cached by Google)
- Coralize (use Coral CDN proxy to connect again)
- Wayback (view an earlier version of this page)
- Ping (use a server to ping the target server)
- Trace (trace the network route from you to the server)
- Whois (look up who owns the website)
- Proxify (use your custom web proxy to connect)

a930c9fd

Unread post by a930c9fd » 2020-10-16, 11:28

guys, thanks a lot, that's what i've searched for!