lacking css support for display:flow-root

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
moshed

lacking css support for display:flow-root

Unread post by moshed » 2020-09-02, 21:25

Hi, noticed that when it comes to css, palemoon completely ignores the display property of an element when it's value is set to flow-root (display:flow-root)

This value causes any element on which it is applied to create it's own block-formatting context (meaning it will contain floated elements without the need of clearfix hacks, also prevents external floated elements from entering it's boundaries, and prevents the top margin of the first contained element and bottom margin of the last contained element to collapse with the respective margins of the parent container, the one on which display:flow-root was applied)

In this page you can see a couple of examples involving display:flow-root, but none of them work in palemoon
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... ng_context

here's the css specification part that mentions it
https://www.w3.org/TR/css-display-3/#ty ... lay-inside

Idk if this counts as a palemoon bug or not, but I'm letting you guys know it's missing in case you can implement this for future versions

A block formatting context is non explicitly created by default when you set an element's display to inline-block, or when you apply position:absolute on an element, or when you use overflow:<anything other than visible>, and I think these work just fine in palemoon, so maybe knowing about these can help with the flow-root support implementation when/if you guys do it

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: lacking css support for display:flow-root

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-09-02, 21:42

Not so much a bug as it is an enhancement request. flow-root is simply not yet implemented (and clearly isn't used very often at all if it took this long for a site to be reported that uses it).

Looks like we just missed the boat on that one when we forked, so it might not be too much work to port across. bug #1322191 and follow-up bug #1325970
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moshed

Unread post by moshed » 2020-09-03, 20:11

Yeah, I think most people haven't caught on the existence of that property yet given the ubiquity of clearfix hacks, and it being relatively new (firefox and chrome only started supporting it in 2017 https://caniuse.com/#search=display%3Aflow-root)

I only noticed about it myself because I'm trying to dab into web development during the quarantine to make good use of the free time I got, so I've been using palemoon and other browsers to test things since palemoon is my default (so far this is the one thing I've encountered that doesn't work in palemoon, and i've tested a bunch, so it's not doing bad at all I'd say)

But from what I read, this is supposed to be the legit replacement for clearfix hacks and other workarounds (and it really is much easier and less awkward to work with display:flow-root than with the alternatives), so when it finally catches on, which it very probably will eventually given it's convenience, it might end up ruining a lot of websites for this browser

Won't happen too soon probably, and right now it doesn't seem like it's used much, but it should save you many headaches in the future, so it might be good to look into it when you guys can

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-09-04, 07:32

We are well aware of the mechanics of changing standards, new web features, and how webmasters respond to them (or not). We've done this dance for 10 years already, after all ;)

That being said, we're tracking this in Issue #1641 (UXP)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

moshed

Unread post by moshed » 2020-09-04, 23:52

Ahhhhhhh awesome :thumbup: