Pale Moon on OpenIndiana (Solaris/illumos) build issues.

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon on OpenIndiana (Solaris/illumos) build issues.

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-09-02, 07:58

Pale Moon lacks the front-end code for WebRTC use, so even if you are able to build the lib and platform plumbing, you still can't use it.
As stated Basilisk is a better candidate for that since it has WebRTC support in the application. DRM is unfortunately still out there since our media guy (Travis) had life descend on him and severely limiting his time to the project. DRM could work again in Basilisk if someone else looks into finishing the migration to Widevine interface 10.

Regardless, it'd take a bit more for WebRTC to be functional on OI/Solaris to begin with. It's a very hardware-dependent specification and all the gears have to be in the right place for it.

As for the revival of this topic, I also (apparently) misunderstood that you were having trouble with Pale Moon on OI and needed help getting it to build and be stable enough for use.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tharthan
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Tharthan » 2020-09-02, 19:23

Moonchild wrote:
2020-09-02, 07:58
DRM is unfortunately still out there since our media guy (Travis) had life descend on him and severely limiting his time to the project. DRM could work again in Basilisk if someone else looks into finishing the migration to Widevine interface 10.
Off-topic:
I'm crossing my fingers for that day. I still have Basilisk installed as a secondary browser in the hopes that Widevine and the like can be made to work in it one of these days.
"This is a war against individuality and intelligence. Only thing we can do is stand strong."adesh, 9 January 2020

"I used to think I was a grumpy old man, but I don't hold a candle compared to Tharthan."Cassette, 9 September 2020

despair

Unread post by despair » 2020-10-30, 02:33

Off-topic:
if you are experiencing 5s+ pauses in js heavy sites, switch jemalloc OFF (now i know why oracle turned it off on their builds of navigator throughout the ages and even in the navigator > mozilla > firefox transitions)
and you can use any of the malloc libraries but libumem is recommended

saw palemoon/basilisk hanging for seconds at a time in spidermonke GC cycles doing mmap(2) called from jemalloc
and at one point before i rebuilt without it, had 16.3 GB of cached pages in core (on a 32 GB workstation) probably caused by this (even though i built a 32-bit browser)

athenian200
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by athenian200 » 2020-10-31, 17:59

despair wrote:
2020-10-30, 02:33
Off-topic:
if you are experiencing 5s+ pauses in js heavy sites, switch jemalloc OFF (now i know why oracle turned it off on their builds of navigator throughout the ages and even in the navigator > mozilla > firefox transitions)
and you can use any of the malloc libraries but libumem is recommended

saw palemoon/basilisk hanging for seconds at a time in spidermonke GC cycles doing mmap(2) called from jemalloc
and at one point before i rebuilt without it, had 16.3 GB of cached pages in core (on a 32 GB workstation) probably caused by this (even though i built a 32-bit browser)
That configuration is not supported. You're not supposed to turn off jemalloc. You can't "just switch it off" and have everything be okay, because we don't design around the assumption that people will do that.
"The Athenians, however, represent the unity of these opposites; in them, mind or spirit has emerged from the Theban subjectivity without losing itself in the Spartan objectivity of ethical life. With the Athenians, the rights of the State and of the individual found as perfect a union as was possible at all at the level of the Greek spirit." -- Hegel's philosophy of Mind

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-10-31, 18:15

System malloc just isn't stable and memory will tend to leak at the very least. Other effects observed on many environments is instability. So athenian200 is quite correct. It may seem to work better on some things but in others that may or may not be obvious to you it won't.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-10-31, 18:44

We've spent plenty of time testing using the system memory allocator on various operating systems, and our ultimate conclusion was that jemalloc simply worked best regardless of OS because of the atypical and rapid-fire reallocations that happen inside a browser. System mallocs may seem to be smoother short term but will lead to memory fragmentation and running into OOM situations while the actual allocated amount of memory isn't even close to the free limit.
As such we always use jemalloc for all builds.

Now it's -possible- that it behaves differently on solaris/illumos, but it's unlikely. If we want to find out then we'll have to make a comparison test again specific for solaris/illumos, preferably in a blind test.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite