Computer Freezes up While Browsing

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Computer Freezes up While Browsing

Unread post by ron_1 » 2013-04-27, 13:59

Searched forums but didn't find this problem; sorry if this post duplicates another. I hope this post isn't too general to put in Bug Reports (sorry if it is). I've noticed since using version 20.0.1 that at times while browsing my whole computer will freeze up. I have to manually (i.e., the wrong way) shut down my computer. It seems to happen while having multiple tabs opened, or while some flash content is being loaded (or the combination thereof). I haven't had this problem with any previous PM versions.

I keep Flash Player updated as soon as new versions come out. I can't remember if the current version of Flash predates the current version of PM; if it does, that would point away from Flash Player being the problem, because as already stated I never had this problem with previous versions of PM. This is assuming Flash is the problem, but isn't this what the Plug-in container is for? So the browser won't crash, let alone the whole computer?

Windows XP SP3
Pale Moon 20.0.1
Flash 11.7.700.169

lyceus

Re: Computer Freezes up While Browsing

Unread post by lyceus » 2013-04-28, 01:05

Maybe you have a corrupt profile as when the computer shutdown by force several files were in use. You can try to check with either: Use a clean profile, or disabling add-ons and cleaning cache/cookies.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2013-04-28, 02:07

lobocursor wrote:
Maybe you have a corrupt profile as when the computer shutdown by force several files were in use.
I never shut down that way until the first time the computer froze while browsing with PM. So wouldn't that discount a corrupt profile?

I also clean out cache/cookies at least once a week with Ccleaner, so that's not a problem; and neither are add-ons as I don't have any.

But, if I do want to "clean my profile" how do I go about that? (I'm showing my ignorance here.) :)

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2013-04-28, 05:08

For a clean profile do the following:

Press start button (Windows XP/Vista/7) and then Run command.

Type this command (or copy and paste it) and press ENTER:

Code: Select all

palemoon.exe -P
You will get this window, the you can create an extra profile for debug. I hope this works.
NewProfile.png

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2013-04-29, 15:02

It seems that something Mozilla did with version 20 is affecting the normal playback of flash.

http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2466

While the issue with the above link is different from mine, there is a common link: playback of Flash content. Does it mean anything?