Improvements in the update process

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Improvements in the update process

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2013-04-16, 15:00

I'm not sure whether I would call it a bug or a suggested improvement. I recently updated Palemoon Portable and Palemoon (non portable). In both cases, previous to the update, I had a series of extensions and the French language pack.

– All extensions were checked and a couple of updates were suggested.
– The language pack was checked and deemed incompatible. Palemoon then "checked" for an update and didn't find any. Then on the Palemoon website, I manually installed the French language pack.

Suggestion : when Palemoon checks for an updated language pack, could it check automatically for the updated pack in the proper folder (http://storage.sity.nl/palemoon/langpacks/20.x/...)?

In the First Run page (http://palemoon.org/firstrun.shtml), I would suggest that you put either the menu bar or a quick link to the main page of the website (for example, when clicking on the big moon.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Improvements in the update process

Unread post by Blacklab » 2013-04-16, 15:18

There seems to be an issue, not yet fully understood, with updating language packs - at least your old language pack was correctly "deemed incompatible" and you avoided any of the "failure to start" problems discussed in: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... =30#p13716 No doubt Moonchild will investigate this further when he returns! :)

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Improvements in the update process

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2013-04-17, 00:46

I had read the other posts on "language issues" and was ready to reinstall Palemoon from scratch. Compared to that, I think the process worked fairly well. Still, the suggested improvement would help those who are not as good with computers as I am.

I should add that I didn't restart Palemoon during the update process. Even though the French language pack was not updated and therefore removed (disabled?) during the updating process, the "general.useragent.locale" variable remained at "fr".
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)