PaleMoon fails starting after update to 20.0.1

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
LigH1L
Fanatic
Fanatic

PaleMoon fails starting after update to 20.0.1

Unread post by LigH1L » 2013-04-14, 06:39

Remembering the last case, I denied updating the german language pack this time, let Pale Moon start in english after the update from 19.0.2 to 20.0.1, and re-installed the german language pack from the website afterwards. Pale Moon ran fine at first...

Today, I get this "JavaScript application" error dialog 3 times:
Can't find febe-strings

TypeError: fs is null
Then the XML error dialog appears:

Code: Select all

XML-Verarbeitungsfehler: Nicht definierte Entität
Adresse: chrome://browser/content/browser.xul
Zeile Nr. 240, Spalte 5:    <broadcaster id="devtoolsMenuBroadcaster_ChromeDebugger"
----^
Once again I re-installed the language pack, after temporarily setting the locale to "en"; back to "de-DE", Pale Moon works well so far.

I wonder if this issue was related to the update restart being interrupted by the Adobe Flash updater. At least the solution is now known.
Fun and success!

dark_moon

Re: PaleMoon fails starting after update to 20.0.1

Unread post by dark_moon » 2013-04-14, 12:12

FEBE is an addon or?: https://addons.mozilla.org/en/firefox/addon/febe

Do you try a clean profile?

slaven

Unread post by slaven » 2013-04-19, 11:26

After updating i got PM's fail with message
Rendering Error:TypeError: document.getElementById(...) is null

<broadcaster id="devtoolsMenuBroadcaster_DevToolbox"
----^
deleting langpack-..@palemoon.org.xpi helped to solve the problem.

mduchaff

Unread post by mduchaff » 2013-05-14, 07:58

Hi Slaven
slaven wrote: deleting langpack-..@palemoon.org.xpi helped to solve the problem.
Can you be more specific ? Where is that file that you deleted ?
Thanks

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-05-14, 20:21

It would be in your profile folder under "extensions"
e.g. c:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\[xxxxxx}.default\extensions\
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mduchaff

Unread post by mduchaff » 2013-05-15, 14:06

Thanks Moonchild.
I renamed the file as xxx.old. in order to ease the restoration of the file.
I launched Palemoon again and : I still get the same error message

Code: Select all

Erreur d'analyse XML : entité non définie
Emplacement : chrome://browser/content/browser.xul
Numéro de ligne 240, Colonne 5 :    <broadcaster id="devtoolsMenuBroadcaster_ChromeDebugger"
which is the French version of the message LigH1L got.
But I cannot apply his solution : no way to start Pale Moon !

and my OLD file was removed :shock:
I will appreciate any idea. Should I go back to a previous version ?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-05-16, 20:28

You are obviously still having an old language pack in your profile - old, incompatible language packs will prevent the browser from starting.

You can at all times start in safe mode by holding the SHIFT key depressed when starting Pale Moon. After doing that, go to the Add-ons manager, find your language packs that are installed, and remove all of them. Restart Pale Moon normally and install a current, up-to-date language pack for the browser.

Side note: incompatible language packs should never be activated or installed - normally they can't be but some synchronisation and/or backup software may inadvertently do this. Make sure you exclude language packs from synchronisation or backup to prevent these issues.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite