Why do you use the unstable builds of Pale Moon?

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.

Why do you use the unstable builds?

Poll ended at 2020-04-08, 17:10

To get early access to the latest and greatest changes
18%
To help development of my favorite browser by testing and reporting bugs
18%
Because I want to (read: I'm a moron)
14%
I don't
50%

Total votes: 22

New Tobin Paradigm

Why do you use the unstable builds of Pale Moon?

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-03-25, 17:10

Since there seems to be some confusion about the unstable builds and a general lack of catching several bugs that made it to release.. I want to know why you use the unstable version.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Why do you use the unstable builds of Pale Moon?

Unread post by therube » 2020-03-25, 18:23

(browsers in general, not specific to PM...)

For me, usability & stability are of prime importance.
These days, I do not find any browser that meets those (what should be minimal) criteria.

That said, I use what I'm comfortable with.
Then I dabble with browsers that may do certain things better then what my comfortable browser does.

(on the FF end, more specifically...)

I treat FF as a trash browser.
Don't care what I do to it, don't care what I throw at it.
If it works, it works, if it breaks, it breaks. I don't worry myself about it.

I no longer consider FF to do anything in the users interest.
I no longer expect FF to act (UI/UX) in a reasonable manner.
I no longer expect Mozilla to fix "usability" bugs.
I do not expect FF to be stable.

Given times, & FF update cycle, just about every time you turn around, a new version is out, & with that something breaks...

So to me, at this point with them, whether you are on Release or Nightly, there really isn't a whole lot of difference.

That said, at some point in time, Nightly got a fix (finally) to a bug that was really bugging me.
So at that point, I jumped to Nightly, & have just remained there (considering I don't consider FF to be particularly usable or stable, & I treat it as a trash browser).

So my reason, for (FF) unstable (Nightly) was because of a fix that came through there (now since in Release) & there just isn't any particular reason to drop back to Release.

So, every so often, I'll hit a bug, or some "feature" that bugs me to no end, & file a Bug report.
I don't particularly expect any action to be taken on any Bug report, but still do (report, sometimes).

(Never used PM unstable. Maybe I should?)

(I think I went overboard, & not exactly what you're looking for. But as no one else... ;-).
Guess I just should have said, oh, I try to help out by keeping an eye open for things that are wrong so that they can get fixed in a timely manner - before turning up in a release :-).)