Weave server

Talk about code development, features, specific bugzilla bugs, enhancements, patches, and other highly technical things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific referenced Bugzilla bugs, mercurial, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Most "bug reports" do not belong in this board and should initially be posted in Community Support or other relevant support boards.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Kudalufi
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Weave server

Post by Kudalufi » 2020-01-03, 14:26

Does PM work with the Weave Minimal server? Not the original, but the Python re-implementation?
Ex Turbo Modestum

moonbat
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Weave server

Post by moonbat » 2020-01-03, 14:31

Worth testing. Since this implementation seems to support Weave 1.1 which is what Pale Moon uses internally.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 19.3 Xfce x64 on HP i5 laptop with 4 GB RAM, always latest versions of PM & Basilisk unless specified.

vannilla
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Post by vannilla » 2020-01-03, 16:24

As long as the server is compliant with Weave 1.1, it will work with Pale Moon and Basilisk.

Kudalufi
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Post by Kudalufi » 2020-01-03, 20:59

It appears to work, but as I've not used sync before, I'm not sure it works correctly. Here is what I see:
  • I can't use a hostname with Palemoon and weave-minimal. It connects to the server for the tests, but Palemoon doesn't recognize it. If I use an IP address Palemoon recognizes it - the server throws some errors, but Palemoon still will allow it.
  • The first machine I sync will do so properly.
  • Subsequent machines don't work with the "add device" method where you copy a code from candidate device to the already syncing device. I'm not sure that the add device method even uses the custom server. How on earth is the added device supposed to know what server to use? This is the part I'm not sure about.
  • If I use the "I don't have the device in front of me" method, and set up the subsequent device that way, but...
  • There appears to be problems with the reset sync, I can't seem to push one device's sync to all other devices. They seem to always merge. This isn't terrible, but not sure why it doesn't work.
All in all, however, it seems to be a great very fast way to get sync working on a server you control.
Ex Turbo Modestum

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Post by Moonchild » 2020-01-03, 21:56

I'm not familiar with the used implementation but it seems it may not fully implement all weave features.

No idea why a hostname wouldn't work when an IP address does -- are you sure the server URLs are correct?
The "easy setup" uses keyserver.palemoon.org which is a J-PAKE server; this uses juggling to exchange the server details and credentials from the synced client to the new client in a secure way (the server can never learn the contents of the encrypted exchange). This should work, but might not if host names are are used internally -- I've never tried this with raw IPs.
Reset sync might also not work correctly if the server implementation you are using doesn't support the other methods/doesn't support mass-deletion.
"There will be times when the position you advocate, no matter how well framed and supported, will not be accepted by the public simply because you are who you are." -- Merrill Rose