PM28.8.0 not tagged in git repository/no release sources

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
dinosaur
Fanatic
Fanatic

PM28.8.0 not tagged in git repository/no release sources

Unread post by dinosaur » 2019-12-11, 10:40

Greetings,

I'm building PM myself (with personal patches) but did not find any release sources for PM 28.8.0 neither any 28.8.0 tag in the git repository for the "Pale_Moon-release" (and "release" alike) branch.

I then checked out at 647d14de862cedc9332e4e9714edf4f798f4cc65 (version file bump parent commit), but still got a 28.8.0a1 version in application/palemoon/config/version.txt... So I'm unsure this actually corresponds to the released binary version of PM 28.8.0...

Could you pretty please provide a link to an official source tarball, corresponding exactly to the 28.8.0 release ? :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: PM28.8.0 not tagged in git repository/no release sources

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-12-11, 11:33

The release has been tagged with release notes attached.
The commit you mention is a commit on master. You should NEVER build intended releases from the master branch as that is our development trunk. Always build from the specific release branch for the product you're trying to build.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dinosaur
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dinosaur » 2019-12-11, 12:29

Moonchild wrote:
2019-12-11, 11:33
The commit you mention is a commit on master. You should NEVER build intended releases from the master branch as that is our development trunk. Always build from the specific release branch for the product you're trying to build.
The problem is that even with 'git checkout -b release' (or "Pale_Moon-release") followed with 'git fetch --tags', I do not see any such release branch tagged in the git repository, unlike what happened in the past (i.e. 28.7.2 is there, but not 28.8.0). :wtf:

Perhaps I missed something, but in that case, would you be so kind as to provide me with a recipe to fetch the release sources for 28.8.0 ?

dinosaur
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dinosaur » 2019-12-11, 12:41

Moonchild wrote:
2019-12-11, 11:33
Hehe, indeed "just been" tagged (one hour ago). :P

After refreshing https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP/releases in PM I can indeed now see the 28.8.0 sources.

Case closed, thank you ! :)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-12-11, 13:19

With all these post-build modders and personal builders I wonder how long offering support for issues can even be reasonable. Dozens of people on this forum are automatically disqualified from getting support questions answered. Half of them lie about it till I push them to admit it. It is a filthy situation and I am sick of it.

When you build your self with "personal patches" or doing some sort of omnija fuckery and shoving filth into the program directory post-build you are not using Pale Moon, indeed, it is something else, a bastardization of the product we all work hard on and then you or someone like you will come here and act like you are entitled to everything.

There is almost no reason to ever build the source code unless you are a developer or a packager. Otherwise, build AS RELEASED without changes else stay silent because you choose to give up product support and user status and aren't entitled to anything. The only exception should be if you intend on creating something new but that is hardly ever the case but if it was even then it isn't Pale Moon and pretending it is is a sure fire way to piss off everyone.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2019-12-11, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-12-11, 13:23

dinosaur wrote:
2019-12-11, 12:41
Hehe, indeed "just been" tagged (one hour ago). :P
Yeah I didn't say it had "already been".

You have to understand that release engineering, mirror uploads, publishing, announcements in various places, repo tagging, posting release notes in various places in different formats, etc. is all down to me, myself and I at the moment. I don't always do everything at once because I have limited energy and time.
If anyone else is willing to take (part of) this responsibility (and it's a big responsibility because it is pivotal to the project's reception by users, so I have to know I can absolutely trust you and rely on you) then they can step up and get in touch via PM or e-mail.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

dinosaur
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by dinosaur » 2019-12-11, 14:03

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-12-11, 13:19
With all these post-build modders and personal builders I wonder how long offering support for issues can even be reasonable. Dozens of people on this forum are automatically disqualified from getting support questions answered. Half of them lie about it till I push them to admit it. It is a filthy situation and I am sick of it.

When you build your self with "personal patches" or doing some sort of omnija fuckery and shoving filth into the program directory post-build you are not using Pale Moon, indeed, it is something else, a bastardization of the product we all work hard on and then you or someone like you will come here and act like you are entitled to everything.

There is almost no reason to ever build the source code unless you are a developer or a packager. Otherwise, build AS RELEASED without changes else stay silent because you choose to give up product support and user status and aren't entitled to anything. The only exception should be if you intend on creating something new but that is hardly ever the case but if it was even then it isn't Pale Moon and pretending it is is a sure fire way to piss off everyone.
Geez !!!! :shock:

Please, cool down !

It was not an attack or criticism on my part, and mind you, the whole point of Open Source software is to be able to modify it yourself if you so wish.

YES, I do modify Pale Moon to fit *my* needs, like I do for (to date) 172 pieces of software (that's the current number of SRPMS I customized with personal patches for the Linux distro I am currently using), not counting the Open Source projects I personally manage and publish under various nicknames, one of which is entering its 12th year of weekly (!) releases (and that's a big project as well: the binary package is 300Mb big).

So, I deny you the right to qualify my work of "bastardization" or "omnija fuckery", or to judge about the opportunity for me to compile PM (or any other software) myself.

Beside, I do not ask support. I was just posing a question about where the sources could be found for this particular release, and you will note that I waited 24 hours after the release was announced before asking, because, yes, I do know what it is to be over-swamped with work and having to deal with a gazillion things at once.

But as I already wrote: case closed. Thank you ! :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-12-11, 15:42

dinosaur wrote:
2019-12-11, 14:03
Beside, I do not ask support.
You're the exception :)

I'm pretty sure Tobin's post was more to be taken as a generic rant about what people do than specifically directed at you.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-12-11, 15:47

Moonchild wrote:
2019-12-11, 15:42
generic rant about what people do
It happens.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-12-11, 15:48

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-12-11, 15:47
Moonchild wrote:
2019-12-11, 15:42
generic rant about what people do
It happens.
We all get upset about these things on occasion.