HTML5 Video Support on Windows 10

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

HTML5 Video Support on Windows 10

Unread post by Pelican » 2019-12-01, 23:12

I see that PM version 28 (32-bit) does support HTML5 video on Windows 10, but have noticed that PM version 27.9 does not, even though it works fine on all previous Windows versions.

Has something changed in Windows 10 to change that? Did PM 27.9 ever support HTML5 video on Windows 10?

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: HTML5 Video Support on Windows 10

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-12-01, 23:26

Who cares about an old and insecure version of the on an intentionaly unstable "operating system as a service".

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2019-12-02, 00:10

WilliamK wrote:
2019-12-01, 23:12
Has something changed in Windows 10 to change that? Did PM 27.9 ever support HTML5 video on Windows 10?
Getting back on the topic... Windows updates and fixes run out in Feb next year for Windows 7 and all new machines sold for some time now use Windows 10.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-12-02, 00:17

Please use an up-to-date version of Pale Moon. We cannot reasonably support the previous milestone which was superseded 1.5 years ago. If it for whatever reason doesn't work in Win 10 for you (it should, but eh, you asked for the source in PM so I'm guessing you spun your own to begin with, meaning it's also possible your build environment was at fault) then we're sorry, but it's not going to get much attention from us since we are focusing on -current- versions.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2019-12-02, 00:46

Moonchild wrote:
2019-12-02, 00:17
If it for whatever reason doesn't work in Win 10 for you (it should, but eh, you asked for the source in PM so I'm guessing you spun your own to begin with)
I downloaded and tested a PM 27.9.3 binary from here and found that it does not work on Windows 10 for HTML5 video. So my question was, did it it ever work, and if so, was it a change in Windows (update) that changed that?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-12-02, 04:21

WilliamK wrote:
2019-12-02, 00:10
Getting back on the topic...
I don't take orders from you.

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2019-12-02, 04:29

Getting back on topic!

No order was given. Am looking for constructive comments and advice. So you Tobin, are excused from that for obvious reasons.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-12-02, 07:52

Off-topic:
Stop bickering, the both of you, or I'll put you both on cooldown.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2019-12-02, 18:37

WilliamK wrote:
2019-12-02, 00:46
I downloaded and tested a PM 27.9.3 binary from here and found that it does not work on Windows 10 for HTML5 video. So my question was, did it it ever work, and if so, was it a change in Windows (update) that changed that?
I remember there used to be a fix to enable video playback on Windows 10 after an update broke it. It was about uninstalling a codec package. Search the forum about that and see if that works for you. Other than that, there isn't much to be offered in help.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2019-12-02, 20:16

WilliamK wrote:
2019-12-02, 00:46
adesh wrote:
2019-12-02, 18:37
I remember there used to be a fix to enable video playback on Windows 10 after an update broke it. It was about uninstalling a codec package. Search the forum about that...
It was a couple of years ago. Searching on HEVC and (secondarily) MPEG2 should bring up the relevant threads.

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2019-12-02, 22:29

Thanks, I followed those threads...
Uninstalling the 'HEVCVideoExtension' and 'MPEG2VideoExtension' worked for me as well.
But a search for HEVC and MPEG2 in Apps & Features returned no results, not found.
Solved by Pale Moon 28.
I wonder what was done to fix it?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-12-02, 22:50

WilliamK wrote:
2019-12-02, 22:29
I wonder what was done to fix it?
Abandoning Tycho

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2019-12-02, 23:08

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-12-02, 22:50
Abandoning Tycho
Can you please explain in some more detail?

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2019-12-02, 23:52

WilliamK wrote:
2019-12-02, 23:08
Can you please explain in some more detail?
Tycho is the name used for the version 27 codebase. Version 28 brought about a lot more changes, where this probably got fixed.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2019-12-03, 00:16

So constructive discussion has been derailed again.

This forum has a reputation for that happening. According to most reviews on PM there is usually an added note recommending that one should avoid the support forum, and yes the culprits are named. Is that good for reputation and brand recognition?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-12-03, 00:22

There is nothing really to discuss. You are using an old and insecure version of Pale Moon. Update to the current version and your issue shall be solved.

BTW do you really think your last post of yours will gain you any points? Cause I am pretty sure you just lost 50 UXP Collaboration Points for even attempting that shit.

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2019-12-03, 01:19

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:
2019-12-03, 00:22
BTW do you really think your last post of yours will gain you any points?
It is possibly the most constructive comment that I have seen posted here in a long time, and it should have been mentioned some time ago. I too submit a web browser to the various shareware sites (500+) and couldn't help but notice reviews on PM which of course I am also interested in. I also subscribe to a few tech forums and when I see complaints about browser browsers I recommend PM (I don't recommend my own because it is not designed to be user-friendly at all) but then I get comments from other users about PM and they are not pretty.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-12-03, 02:27

Yeah because there is a coordinated multi-vector defamation campaign that has been on going for longer than I have been here. I am well aware of it. We all are and we don't need you to remind us about it when you don't get your way on something ridiculous. That is a totally transparent ploy to coerce your expected result out of us and it isn't going to work.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-12-03, 10:29

William.

If you moved from Chromium to Pale Moon to base your own software and/or setup on, as I am assuming from context you have, then you should also have realized that part of basing your software on Pale Moon (or any other software for that matter) is the necessary maintenance and staying up-to-date with developments of what you use as a base.
If you run into problems because of something that, from our perspective, has already been fixed, then we can't and will not revisit old versions of code to spot-fix the same thing just so someone can continue using the old version for their purposes. That kind of stuff is what you would hire someone for if there is no other way around it; you don't try to toss that upstream.
That is, if it is even possible to do so (it very well might not be).

Today it's html5 video on Windows 10. Tomorrow it might be something else (e.g. something in JavaScript or secure connections), so then what; do this dance again?... I'm sure you realize you cannot ask this from us.

Tycho (Pale Moon 27.*) is no longer supported and we will not do any further work on it. It's archived. You're also missing a ton of security updates.

I'm aware that swapping milestone in this case might require a bit of work since it's been a full re-fork of mozilla-central at the time. We were forced to re-do some stuff ourselves as well when we did, and had to make some front-end changes, but there has been no other choice as I've clearly explained at the time. Overall, whatever problem you have with your Pale Moon based front-end for moving to Pale Moon 28.* and later can be solved; if you want to do responsible software development then you know that putting your users at considerable disadvantage and risk by staying on an old code base with your software/setup is the wrong thing to do. Instead of demanding that we divert our attention to something that we have not done any development work on for 2 years, you could also simply ask us for help with the migration or help solving issues once you've migrated to current versions of Pale Moon.

Additionally: You state that there are problems moving to Pale Moon 28 and UXP; you have, however, not indicated in any way what these problems are. That would be a good start if you want help -- we can help you with the migration, but will not help you perpetuating a truly old version of Pale Moon because of problems that have already been addressed by UXP.

Off-topic:
P.S.: Tossing up some rant about the forum, our governance, and what you've read in other places (which as pointed out has been the concerted, multi-year effort to keep us in the "undesirable" category for the larger populous) will not change this fact, and is completely irrelevant and off-topic. The derailing here was done by you, nobody else. If anything Tobin's replies (some of which have been removed along with yours to reduce the inflammatory direction of this thread) have been on the nose, courteous, and a hell of a lot more professional than what you've been doing.
Displaying the uncalled-for negativity here that you have does damage your chances of getting the needed help. It's called consequences.

Pelican
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Pelican » 2019-12-03, 11:05

Moonchild wrote:
2019-12-03, 10:29
Tossing up some rant about the forum
Thanks for the usual holier than thou sermon. I recommend that you clean up your act here if you want PM to be accepted by the tech community.