Question for those of you who use mozregression...

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Sessh
Fanatic
Fanatic

Question for those of you who use mozregression...

Unread post by Sessh » 2019-11-04, 00:13

Okay, so I am trying to figure out how to find bug numbers relevant to a new issue in PM and I need some guidance.

So, you've found a website that no longer works right in PM. You fire up mozregression, you find the last bad and first good builds to narrow down precisely where the solution lies and you get your pushlog. My question is where do you go from there? You have to cross reference the bug numbers in the pushlog with.. a commit list from.. what? What do you cross reference the pushlog with in order to find out which bug numbers are relevant to the problem you're trying to solve?

I'm just trying to learn here, so any help is much appreciated! :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Question for those of you who use mozregression...

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-11-04, 00:21

Usually there is nothing to cross-reference against. Your first experience with it just happened to have a buglist in Waterfox commits that solved the problem you were looking for, but that's almost never the case.
So after you get a daily pushlog, you have to use common sense to weed out the obvious "not likely" ones; alternatively you have to manually build from source to further bisect the range to land on the commit that broke/fixed something.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Sessh
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Question for those of you who use mozregression...

Unread post by Sessh » 2019-11-04, 00:26

I see, so that one I helped you with was not a common situation. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm well versed enough in this sort of thing to possess the type of common sense I would need to be able to weed through the pushlog and understand what I'm reading enough to know what is likely and not likely to be the issue. I just don't know enough about how stuff works under the hood, you know?

It seems that at least for now, that's as far as I'm able to go with it. Oh well... it's better than nothing, I guess! I appreciate the explanation, thanks. :)