[Solved] Options/General/Save files to>>empty Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
aorbiter

[Solved] Options/General/Save files to>>empty

Unread post by aorbiter » 2013-03-21, 20:48

A puzzler: when I've visited the tab in the past two weeks, I've noticed the condition mentioned in the Subject.

Moments ago, I re-selected the intended (non-default) Download folder and it showed in the field box in that tab. I closed PaleMoon64 and waited a short bit. When I ran PaleMoon64 again and went to that tab, the field box was empty again.

My downloads have always gone to the intended Download folder. These past two weeks have been no different.

In about:config filtered by "download", browser.download.dir shows my intended Download folder.

Just not in that field box.

I just tried it again, without closing the browser, just closing the options tab and re-opening it to the general tab. The field box was empty.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Options/General/Save files to>>empty

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-21, 21:07

Works fine here, I'm not able to reproduce this.
Anyone else able to confirm this? Exact steps to reproduce if so?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Rohugh

Unread post by Rohugh » 2013-03-21, 23:57

Works fine for me, I download to desktop then drag the file to the folder where I want it (or delete it). Not had any problems with any of the versions.

aorbiter

Unread post by aorbiter » 2013-03-22, 01:24

Thanks for the feedback, Moonchild and Rohugh.

I made an assumption your attempts were made with "default" settings. That got me thinking what I was reporting was not from "default" settings. Once I retraced the steps and back to "default', the field box is populated again.

I have Configuration Mania add-on installed (mainly so I can have the scrollbar on the left side). After the IonMonkey's emergence, I had to uninstall and reinstall PaleMoon64 and its paraphernalia.; that included revisiting the add-ons and their settings. I came across a setting within Configuration Mania that allowed the "options" to appear in the browser in tab form, rather than in a separate window.

What you and I see in the separate window is normal. In the "options" tab in the browser was where the field box was showing empty.

Thanks, again. Consider this solved.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: [Solved] Options/General/Save files to>>empty

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-22, 06:15

I don't support in-content preferences. They are incomplete in Pale Moon, not needed for desktop (it was one of the things spurred by mobile device browsing - getting rid of all regular dialog boxes where possible) and yes, you can expect some additional quirks like this.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2013-03-22, 13:24

aorbiter wrote:I have Configuration Mania add-on installed (mainly so I can have the scrollbar on the left side).
Why not alter about:config "layout.scrollbar.side" setting? See: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Layout.scrollbar.side and perhaps ditch another Add-on? :)
[color=#0000FF]Moonchild[/color] wrote:I don't support in-content preferences. They are incomplete in Pale Moon, not needed for desktop....
Wasn't aware they existed! :lol: Firefox 15 onwards apparently - ghacks.net article Firefox In-Content Preferences gives an unenthusiastic overview.

aorbiter

Unread post by aorbiter » 2013-03-22, 14:11

Thanks, Blacklab. i started using Configuration Mania back when I deemed about:config as radiation zone.

I disabled Configuration Mania, and after the PaleMoon64 restart, the scrollbar remained on the left side.

About:config shows it as user set. Looks like this add-on will be ditched soon.

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2013-03-22, 14:29

aorbiter wrote:I disabled Configuration Mania, and after the PaleMoon64 restart, the scrollbar remained on the left side.
....as will any of the other preferences that were changed iaw Configuration Mania's AMO page warning: "Note: The change of preferences will persist even when this add-on is disabled/uninstalled." It is a "configurator" add-on, like Pale Moon Commander (PMC), and thus when you disable or remove the add-on entirely any altered preference settings remain "altered" or "as is" and do not revert to Pale Moon's defaults or your initial settings. (PMC discussion here: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... 920#p11047.) Any non-default preference setting is highlighted in about:config with bold text and can be easily changed again or reset - mozillaZine's About:config Knowledge Base article "Adding modifying and resetting preferences" section explains further.

Trying three configurator add-ons one after the other recently made a real mess of my preferences! MozillaZine's Resetting preferences KB article explains reset methods but note Moonchild's comment "The safe mode dialog box shown in that article, by the way, has been removed by Mozilla a while back (one of the things I reinstated in Pale Moon)" - so the Safe Mode option described is still available in Pale Moon. :)

Moonchild has added a "Reset All Preferences" button to the latest version of Pale Moon Commander: http://www.palemoon.org/commander.shtml
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.