Recent update of the 7zip

Talk about code development, features, specific bugzilla bugs, enhancements, patches, and other highly technical things.

Moderator: satrow

Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific referenced Bugzilla bugs, mercurial, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Most "bug reports" do not belong in this board and should initially be posted in Community Support or other relevant support boards.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
User avatar
Fedor2
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 660
Joined: 2016-04-11, 01:26

Recent update of the 7zip

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2019-05-24, 19:45

Moonchild It was happened that after the update 7zSD.sfx wont run on winxp, all 3 of them.
In the https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... README.mcp
You wrote that you want it to show non generic error but the error about the windows is too old, good idea, but gone fail, they stuck forever without the message..
Also to build it you suggest use old microsoft studio pro, actually did you use it to build that 7zSD.sfx?

I can say that it is easy to build 7zSD.sfx with the compiler on the psdk and on VS2013 and i think on other sdk too, no any studio required, especially Professional or Enterprise. Newer though require newer runtime library, but all will run fine on winxp.

User avatar
New Tobin Paradigm
Off-Topic Sheriff
Off-Topic Sheriff
Posts: 5882
Joined: 2012-10-09, 19:37
Location: Sector 001

Re: Recent update of the 7zip

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2019-05-24, 19:50

So what is your point?

User avatar
Fedor2
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 660
Joined: 2016-04-11, 01:26

Re: Recent update of the 7zip

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2019-05-24, 20:14

To make the 7zSD.sfx run properly on winxp to show the message let it be even generic, because stuck in memory without any message is bad.

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 24453
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: 58°2'16"N 14°58'31"E
Contact:

Re: Recent update of the 7zip

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-24, 21:26

Fedor2 wrote:
2019-05-24, 20:14
To make the 7zSD.sfx run properly on winxp to show the message let it be even generic, because stuck in memory without any message is bad.
I'm sorry but I can't cater to the problems specific to an unsupported operating system. The supplied SFX module should, however, run just fine on XP, since that's the whole point of me going out of my way to build it as such. If it doesn't run fine on your system, then it would be something specific to your install (perhaps your patched kernel doesn't like it?)
You can always build it from source yourself. You DO need the modified version from our source tree or your installer will be open to various dll loading attacks. I even went ahead and wrote a build instruction document that lives in the source tree. And you MUST use the compiler indicated. VS2013 or any other SDK than the one I indicated will cause problems. So VS C++6 Pro or Enterprise, and the Win XP SP2 SDK.
See also: https://github.com/MoonchildProductions ... README.mcp

EDIT: Just tested to be sure:
Image2.png
Image2.png (62.66 KiB) Viewed 632 times
Image1.png
"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne
Image

User avatar
Fedor2
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 660
Joined: 2016-04-11, 01:26

Re: Recent update of the 7zip

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2019-05-24, 22:42

I do never use patched kernel, why i would? This is winxp sp3 installed may be 10 years ago, with only 2 more recent and valid microsoft patches for encryption, but have bunch of the other soft, i try on the fresh OS then.
VS2013 or any other SDK than the one I indicated will cause problems.
Сan you please share about problems did you get.

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 24453
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: 58°2'16"N 14°58'31"E
Contact:

Re: Recent update of the 7zip

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-24, 22:50

Fedor2 wrote:
2019-05-24, 22:42
Сan you please share about problems did you get.
No, I can't, for the simple reason I haven't even tried.
There's a very good reason why everyone builds it the stated way. If you want to know the exact ins and outs of the problems caused by using other pSDKs or compilers, then ask the people who have tried and failed. I'm assuming they weren't lying ;)
Knowing Mozilla they would not be using VC6 unless they had a damn good reason for it.
"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne
Image

User avatar
Fedor2
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 660
Joined: 2016-04-11, 01:26

Re: Recent update of the 7zip

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2019-05-25, 08:52

I wonder that palemoon-28.5.0.win32.installer runs fine for me, think what i did wrong, but turned out you setup to use the updated 7zsd version only on the unstable :P

Most likely i get good working application because i did not apply strange compiler options - link redundant libs and such. May be you can point to some article about why mozilla mess with the 7zsd.

I use original not messed 7szd for years with other software and never had a problem.

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 24453
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: 58°2'16"N 14°58'31"E
Contact:

Re: Recent update of the 7zip

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-25, 20:34

Fedor2 wrote:
2019-05-25, 08:52
I wonder that palemoon-28.5.0.win32.installer runs fine for me, think what i did wrong, but turned out you setup to use the updated 7zsd version only on the unstable :P
...no you are wrong.
See release notes of 28.5.0. 7zstub was updated since 28.5.0 in release versions.

I also have no clue what you're trying to say with the rest of your post; are you dissing the official build options now?
"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne
Image

User avatar
Fedor2
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 660
Joined: 2016-04-11, 01:26

Re: Recent update of the 7zip

Unread post by Fedor2 » 2019-05-25, 21:10

See release notes of 28.5.0. 7zstub was updated since 28.5.0 in release versions.
How this is possible? The file from the yesterday palemoon.org
Image

The 7zsd patch puts options ..../delayload:user32.dll /delayload:shell32.dll /delayload:oleaut32.dll
But i did not.

And i looking some article about why it is necessary to mess with 7zsd that cunning way, as the provided default unmodified version works fine.

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 24453
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: 58°2'16"N 14°58'31"E
Contact:

Re: Recent update of the 7zip

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-26, 02:48

Well whaddayaknow, I guess the build system must have cached it when building releases.
Either way, I don't know why it won't run on XP any longer; it's quite possible that the code updates Igor has made in recent versions of 7-zip no longer work on XP.
If that's the case then you'll have to talk to him. I won't provide any further support here.
Fedor2 wrote:
2019-05-25, 21:10
The 7zsd patch puts options ..../delayload:user32.dll /delayload:shell32.dll /delayload:oleaut32.dll
But i did not.
Then your version is vulnerable to dll hijacking.
You need to patch it with the "customizations.diff" and use the proper linker arguments or your installer stub has security issues.
"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne
Image

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 24453
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: 58°2'16"N 14°58'31"E
Contact:

Re: Recent update of the 7zip

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-05-31, 10:03

Moonchild wrote:
2019-05-26, 02:48
I guess the build system must have cached it when building releases.
Actually, I realized why it's using 4.42 for release installers. These installers are re-packaged with code signing that uses the older 7zip stub.
I'll be doing the same thing for the upcoming point release while I work with Mozilla to figure out how to work around the issue (which is caused by one of the delayed loaded system libraries that is a security fix for dll hijacking)
"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne
Image

Post Reply