Liberapay for donations

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Liberapay for donations

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-12, 07:07

After receiving a tip about Liberapay earlier today, I immediately recognized it as a much better alternative for us for recurring donations than Patreon is (which is more of a donation -> reward programme for artists and other who create tangible items). Bonus: it is fully in the Open Source spirit, doesn't take a percentage off of donations (they are funded by donations themselves!) and by default anonymous for donors, fully non-profit, and targeting specifically Free, Libre and Open projects.

I've created an account there and will publish the relevant widgets on the website later on.

Patreon will likely be phased out if this picks up as I hope, because of the relatively poor match and losing in the end 10-12% of donations just to fees (not counting spending/transfer fees when I finally get access to it).
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-07-12, 07:08, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

fatboy
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: Liberapay for donations

Unread post by fatboy » 2018-07-13, 09:04

Ah great. Thanks for posting. Definitely gonna check it out.

Is it like PayPal as well? Where one can use it to randomly donate to projects?
Systemd Free - MX Linux, Antix Linux & Artix Linux

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-07-13, 12:49

fatboy wrote:Is it like PayPal as well? Where one can use it to randomly donate to projects?
No, it's specifically for recurring payments, not one-shot.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

zapper

Unread post by zapper » 2018-07-15, 00:12

fatboy wrote:Ah great. Thanks for posting. Definitely gonna check it out.

Is it like PayPal as well? Where one can use it to randomly donate to projects?
No its way better than paypal, its more in the spirit of a libre payment system. They accept donations rather then force you to pay them to use their services. Not that you have to. ;)

I thought you would all benefit from it better than paypal or patreon due to that reason.

I will donate when I can, you and the Hyperbola project. Which reminds me, here is another area people can get legacy addons from if you guys want to take them to your area. :)
whoops here it is: https://wiki.hyperbola.info/doku.php?id ... weasel-uxp
Last edited by zapper on 2018-07-15, 10:44, edited 4 times in total.