SecretDecoderRing: Logout vs. LogoutAndTeardown

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

SecretDecoderRing: Logout vs. LogoutAndTeardown

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-04-14, 15:21

I'm looking at an issue with ChatZilla that has to do with SSL/TLS session caching. I believe I found a work-around for this in the form of two methods in the nsISecretDecoderRing interface: logout and logoutAndTeardown. From what I can tell, both of these methods clear the SSL cache, which solves the issue. (Ideally for my case, there would a way to clear the SSL cache entry for a single connection instead of the entire cache, but it doesn't look like that is possible in the existing codebase.) The difference between the two methods is that logoutAndTeardown also invalidates all secure connections and causes them to close. From a usability standpoint, this is not great when you have multiple SSL sockets and only one of them is acting up due to the aforementioned caching issue.

My question is, in the context of secure sockets, is there any disadvantage to using logout as opposed to logoutAndTeardown?
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story