Netbook version (experimental!)

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
tribaljet
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Netbook version (experimental!)

Unread post by tribaljet » 2013-01-20, 22:45

Moonchild wrote:Agreed - and as such my monitor is a 16:10 IPS screen ;)
*nods*

1080p or higher?
Portuguese translator of Pale Moon

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-01-20, 23:32

1080p is a 16:9 resolution ;)
Mine is WSXGA+ which is actually the most I'd want on a 22"
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

tribaljet
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by tribaljet » 2013-01-20, 23:36

Moonchild wrote:1080p is a 16:9 resolution ;)
Mine is WSXGA+ which is actually the most I'd want on a 22"
Force of habit (darn common higher resolution panels)

Hum, I was expecting at least WUXGA, which is basically a perfect resolution for 21-23" panels, IMHO. If there's any issue with too small fonts, there's always dpi adjustments available.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-01-21, 00:24

In my experience, DPI adjustments cause all sorts of trouble (including misalignment of graphical and text elements, blurry graphics that are upscaled, etc.), and I like this resolution for this size - I can stick to small fonts without them loosing legibility and/or needing to up-scale certain screen elements for comfort, while still giving enough workspace.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

tribaljet
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by tribaljet » 2013-01-21, 00:29

Text elements shouldn't be a problem as long as they're being made when taking in account that there are people running various different DPI settings (higher and/or lower than the OS default settings). Blurry graphics is inconvenient, which does affect a lot of image formats (not all, though).

Web design nowadays has to take all of that into account, that's just how things are and how people use their systems, stock settings or otherwise. Also, it's important to separate OS DPI settings from individual software's text size.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-01-21, 00:36

Well, I was not talking about web design. I was talking about software/UI design.
In any case, this is getting quite off-topic.

tribaljet
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by tribaljet » 2013-01-21, 00:38

Indeed.

Back on topic, would laptops powered by Core Duo and Core 2 Duo CPUs benefit from this build?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-01-21, 08:28

tribaljet wrote:Indeed.
Back on topic, would laptops powered by Core Duo and Core 2 Duo CPUs benefit from this build?
No, they wouldn't. The normal build is better for those, since they pack hardware that in architecture and resources is similar to desktops/workstations.

Unread post by 01001011 » 2013-02-03, 09:41

Just report back that the netbook version does seem a little faster, although the standard version is already very snappy (I use noscript to minimize the CPU workload). I am using a 4 years old N270 Samsung book, with 1 GB ram and Win XP.

BTW this plugin https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -plus-sma/
combined with tabs at bottom reclaims the most screen estate, not to mention the superior speed, making PM the best browser for netbooks.

ninaholic

Unread post by ninaholic » 2013-02-04, 01:17

I found this 'modern' 10" Acer model kind of interesting:

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2013/01/acer-iconia-w510/
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6522/the- ... 510-tested

It runs full Windows 8 on a Clover Trail "Atom Z2760" processor. Maybe it would benefit from Pale Moon netbook version too then? The price with the keyboard is nowhere near 'netbook' range though. :lol:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-02-04, 08:09

If it's Atom based, it will benefit. I thought I already said that ;)

Ryrynz

Unread post by Ryrynz » 2013-02-06, 05:01

Moonchild wrote:If it's Atom based, it will benefit. I thought I already said that ;)
if you had said "Seriously, I sometimes feel like a broken record" again, it would have been hilarious.

hojnikb

Unread post by hojnikb » 2013-02-23, 11:59

Is the netbook gonan be updated to the latest 19.x code just like the regular pale moon ?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-02-23, 16:58

Yes I will make a new experimental build, after v19.0 has been updated with some immediate patches for issues that popped up after release.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-05, 11:35

Update to this: an experimental version of 19.0.1 is now available - be aware that this has not yet been tested so use it at your own risk!
Grab a copy here: http://ge.tt/2zsM48a?c

ninaholic

Unread post by ninaholic » 2013-03-17, 17:11

Quick question: I've been using the netbook version 19.0.1 since launch and have been getting a pop-up to upgrade it to 19.0.2. Will this upgrade keep the netbook optimizations, revert PaleMoon back to regular 19.0.2, or does it depend on what is being patched (main exe, external files/dlls/settings, etc.)? I haven't taken any action yet. If the answer is unknown, I can try it out and let you know if it blows anything up (then uninstall it and go back) :)

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Blacklab » 2013-03-17, 17:26

Pale Moon 19.0.2 is only available as the standard version. However the pipelining optimisations (with one small adjustment) first included in the Netbook version are now included in 19.0.2. There will be another Netbook build idc. The 19.0.2 update was released quickly as a security patch (see: http://www.palemoon.org/releasenotes-ng.shtml) but not in the Netbook optimised form. In view of security risk I updated from "Netbook optimised" 19.0.1 to the "standard" PM 19.0.2 on my Acer Aspire Atom N550 Netbook. Not experienced any problems running the standard version :)

Note: I applied the 19.0.2 update to my Netbook using .exe for testing before release so I can't be absolutely sure what happens if you use the internal updater. My guess is it will revert - shouldn't be a problem either way. No doubt MC will enlighten us both when he's back from his long weekend!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-03-17, 23:36

The internal updater will update to the standard version of Pale Moon 19. You probably won't notice much difference at this point between the two, and updating to 19.0.2 is very strongly recommended as the security vulnerability patched is critical.

eskaton
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by eskaton » 2013-10-18, 16:09

Would there be any chance of the Netbook version being updated to v24? I understand if you don't want to continue a separate fork/branch/whatever of the PM project. This seemed to be something of a lark when you started it and I'm sure the userbase is rather small.

Thanks