Provide Debug Symbols (pdb) for every release build

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
gpower2

Provide Debug Symbols (pdb) for every release build

Unread post by gpower2 » 2017-11-26, 16:21

I know that this sounds like an overkill, but for the few users that can actually fire up Visual Studio and attach it to a PaleMoon process, providing debug symbols could help pinpoint a lot of bugs that occur rarely at runtime or only for specific system configurations.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Provide Debug Symbols (pdb) for every release build

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-26, 21:18

I'll see what I can do as part of the release engineering for final releases.
Do you know exactly what VS needs? Is it just the .pdb files or does it also need other files like .lib or .exp? Since I always debug against the live build tree, I never had to look into that :P
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

gpower2

Unread post by gpower2 » 2017-11-27, 07:23

I think that .pdb is the only think required, since when compiling, Visual Studio puts all the necessary debug symbols in the pdb files.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-27, 08:32

Shouldn't be too difficult to grab those from the tree after building, then.

EDIT: Thank you Igor Pavlov! 7-zip's standalone archiver made this a breeze.
I'll update this thread with the FTP address to use to grab symbols after 27.6.2 is published.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

gpower2

Unread post by gpower2 » 2017-11-27, 11:03

Thanks a lot!
I hope I will be able to provide more useful info on crashes and app hangs from now on! ;)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-27, 12:00

I'll be having a link on the source code page to get the debug symbols -- a bit more discoverable than here.