MHTML/MAF and Pale Moon - any specific views?

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Stilez

MHTML/MAF and Pale Moon - any specific views?

Unread post by Stilez » 2017-11-03, 08:03

As is probably well-known, Mozilla and Microsoft are moving away from supporting MHT/MHTML as an all-in-one webpage download and archive format. Firefox has two extensions for it - both have been marked "coming to end of life" by their authors with no plans to replace.

I'm not sure what users are expected to switch to as an archive format, in future - perhaps print to PDF, or perhaps download as HTML + supporting files in a folder. I also don't know what Chrome and Safari and other *nix-centric browsers are planning.

I've found the MTHML format immensely useful as a portable universal way to faithfully backup tutorials and howto's online over the years, and I'm wondering whether the maintainers have decided yet whether Pale Moon will continue to support MTHML as a format natively, or through extensions that will continue to be available.

Because I need to adapt if these won't continue to be available, I wonder if it's possible for the maintaniners to discuss and state what Pale Moon will do. As a browser founded on sticking with historic flexibility rather than less capable trends, I hope it's possible to keep support for these formats in the browser, but if not can it be stated sooner rather than later so I can prepare for the end of this format.

if it's possible to keep it, obviously I'd like that - MHTML is immensely more compact than a bunch of individual files in a folder. On the other hand if print to pdf is reckoned to be a good enough substitute, then let's know so I can switch to that. If it is kept, perhaps it would be possible to integrate it into the core code, since extensions will become rare and the code is open source, stable, mature, and unlikely to change much.

But in any case this thread is to ask, can a decision be made / stated, which way PM will go on it?

Thank you!